BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello

can someone out there tell me what needs to be done for a high mileage Beast!!!! mine has 108K Miles 2006 on it and wondering what to do to maintain it properly..... i am so in love with the car i don't think i would sell the car anytime soon.

aside from the oil etc. what else i should look at. the car is running fine nothing to worry about changed the clutch twice but other than that it is a joy to have this beast...

·
Registered
52 Posts
-Rod bearings
-Vanos pressure line when inside doing Rod bearings job
-Fuel Injectors
-Coils & spark plugs
-the whole SMG tran including clutch, flywheel, sensor, pump
-pullies and belt
-Vanos solenoids
-oil cooler
-thermo & coolant flush

****continue to Save more money for other unexpected****

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,393 Posts
I'm just under 107,000 miles. Under my ownership, in addition to everything above, I have also replaced

F/R wheel bearings (a couple times)
All the suspension bits: including control arms, etc...
All the rubber bushings: motor mounts, diff mounts, subframe mounts

I'm about to replace my fuel pump...just becuase.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Preventive maintenance and peace of mind go hand in hand!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot guys.
when it comes to Rod bearing!!!! how can you really tell they are going bad. this whole Viscosity rating on the oil is really too complicated for me :)

read too many posts on Rod bearing and this really scary :(:( ??????

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks a lot guys.
when it comes to Rod bearing!!!! how can you really tell they are going bad. this whole Viscosity rating on the oil is really too complicated for me :)

read too many posts on Rod bearing and this really scary :(:( ??????
honestly I'm in the same boat as you. My mileage is 90k. I read and think about all of the above issues all the time. However it seems All worries goes away when I'm in the car lol:)

But from what I've read here, the rod bearings is something that is still pretty vague and unexpected. Motor sounds perfectly fine day before and then next day it just took a dump. The other thing is, it also appears to fail at a higher RPM... Like over 8k rpm. I drive the car like twice a week, to work and back. Pretty much babying it until I'm ready to bring it in for the rod bearings.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
You can get an oil sample tested from a lab and then keep track of it. But to me this only works if you have had the car for a while and done at least 3 oil changes so you can see if things are getting worse but looking at the reports each time.

This side of the world we use blackstone labs, check their website, gives you info on the whole thing.

If you have that many miles on the engine now, change the rod bearings before its too late. To get 3 oil reports your looking at another 15,000 miles min. Then your 125k.

Changing bearing is easy compared to a new engine. If you dont buy a troy rebuilt engine and get a used engine your going to have to change the bearings and vanos anyway before the install.
Once you have changed the bearings wait 5k and then change the vanos solenoids. Thats as much as you can do without going crazy.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'd do the rod bearings asap. There's no way to tell how much they're worn without removing them. I changed mine at 95k right after I bought the car and several were worn to the copper. If they go too long, you'll spin a bearing. Then it's 10k+ for a new motor. Changing them is great peace of mind

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
when anyone says high mileage, the first thing I think of is rod bearings. seriously on my to-do list and if you're over 100k miles, i'd send your oil sample to blackstone for analysis. if you this fails, it's time for a new motor...

Dan

Reactions: tyroone

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
hello

can someone out there tell me what needs to be done for a high mileage Beast!!!! mine has 108K Miles 2006 on it and wondering what to do to maintain it properly..... i am so in love with the car i don't think i would sell the car anytime soon.

aside from the oil etc. what else i should look at. the car is running fine nothing to worry about changed the clutch twice but other than that it is a joy to have this beast...
There is a thread that covers all this already.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...cussion/278242-e60-m5-maintenance-thread.html

Reactions: tyroone

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Reactions: Kazakh015

·
Registered
280 Posts
Car is fine thank you, it started with a mechanic who gave me my car back 4 quarts short after replacing my oil cooler. I added 1 quart at a time when I quickly found out for the 1st 3 quarts then got nervous and added 3 quarts at a time thinking I might be completely empty, the 1st 3 left me a little over 1qt short which was not reading in the dash and the 3 quarts I added made me 2qts over, I had limp mode episode 2 days later pulled the plugs and found oil.

Went through hell with a dealer to get a compression test but all was good car was missing from a ionic module error.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Car is fine thank you, it started with a mechanic who gave me my car back 4 quarts short after replacing my oil cooler. I added 1 quart at a time when I quickly found out for the 1st 3 quarts then got nervous and added 3 quarts at a time thinking I might be completely empty, the 1st 3 left me a little over 1qt short which was not reading in the dash and the 3 quarts I added made me 2qts over, I had limp mode episode 2 days later pulled the plugs and found oil.

Went through hell with a dealer to get a compression test but all was good car was missing from a ionic module error.

Braheem24, did you change your Bearings?

cheers

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can get an oil sample tested from a lab and then keep track of it. But to me this only works if you have had the car for a while and done at least 3 oil changes so you can see if things are getting worse but looking at the reports each time.

This side of the world we use blackstone labs, check their website, gives you info on the whole thing.

If you have that many miles on the engine now, change the rod bearings before its too late. To get 3 oil reports your looking at another 15,000 miles min. Then your 125k.

Changing bearing is easy compared to a new engine. If you dont buy a troy rebuilt engine and get a used engine your going to have to change the bearings and vanos anyway before the install.
Once you have changed the bearings wait 5k and then change the vanos solenoids. Thats as much as you can do without going crazy.
I don't think that we have this technology here:confused::confused: where they do oil sample test. but that is something to work around and see who does this thing here.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Salam Tyroone, I have not changed my bearings, I'm still on the original but I do 95% highway driving.

Blackstone, the oil testing company can probably email you the results of you send in your oil sample and a cheque.

Ibrahim

T

·
0 Posts
I can give you a list of the 126 people who bought V10 engines from me in the past two years, all of them but three which are due to Rod bearing failure.

Not changing them is negligence. Everyone knows it is an issue with these engines. You can recoup most of the cost of this repair when you sell the car.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I can give you a list of the 126 people who bought V10 engines from me in the past two years, all of them but three which are due to Rod bearing failure.

Not changing them is negligence. Everyone knows it is an issue with these engines. You can recoup most of the cost of this repair when you sell the car.

to put this into some sort of perspective bmw have used this engine in over 31,000 cars worldwide.

·
Registered
161 Posts
to put this into some sort of perspective bmw have used this engine in over 31,000 cars worldwide.

I'm sure there are countless failures that go straight to the dealers, that we never hear about. IMO, the rod bearings are an obvious design flaw and BMW should be stepping up to replace them or at the minimum acknowledging the issue. My stealership service dept acted like they never heard of this issue when I mentioned it to them. When I spoke with two different reputable indy's, they both mentioned having it done around 50k miles, if I plan on keeping it long term.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I'm sure there are countless failures that go straight to the dealers, that we never hear about. IMO, the rod bearings are an obvious design flaw and BMW should be stepping up to replace them or at the minimum acknowledging the issue. My stealership service dept acted like they never heard of this issue when I mentioned it to them. When I spoke with two different reputable indy's, they both mentioned having it done around 50k miles, if I plan on keeping it long term.
Maybe it's not totally a design flaw? The rod bearings mostly last through the term of the warranty period so that's all BMW is really concerned with. It's a high performance/high revving engine with the technology handed down from the F1 race team where they rebuilt it every 2 races in the V10 days. So maybe they look at the rod bearings as a consumable. Gotta pay to play as they say. Maybe BMW should list it as part of the 60K mile service or something LOL.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts