BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if it was the Woodruffkey or the crank hub itself, but one, the other, or both definitely let go on my '93 this morning on the way to church.

A bit of searching seems to indicate there is little to no problem with the SB38 hubs failing in service. I do not know if mine is the exception, or if this failure is result of the 185,000 miles on the car. Neither the hub, nor the cam chain covers have been off during my ownership, though I cannot say for certain if the hub has been removed and reinstalled prior to my buying the car some four years ago. Nonetheless, as I can rotate the CPS wheel and the attached lower pulley, while the crank bolt stays conspicuously and steadfastly still proves that something has gone seriously awry.

If your SB38 has more than 150,000 miles on it, it may be wise to replace the crank hub and the Woodruffkey before one or the other lets go.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I am sorry but I don't believe I can help.

Just a question: Did BMW alter the design of this part from B36 to B38?

GL
Paulo

·
Registered
658 Posts
I don't know if it was the Woodruffkey or the crank hub itself, but one, the other, or both definitely let go on my '93 this morning on the way to church.

A bit of searching seems to indicate there is little to no problem with the SB38 hubs failing in service. I do not know if mine is the exception, or if this failure is result of the 185,000 miles on the car. Neither the hub, nor the cam chain covers have been off during my ownership, though I cannot say for certain if the hub has been removed and reinstalled prior to my buying the car some four years ago. Nonetheless, as I can rotate the CPS wheel and the attached lower pulley, while the crank bolt stays conspicuously and steadfastly still proves that something has gone seriously awry.

If your SB38 has more than 150,000 miles on it, it may be wise to replace the crank hub and the Woodruffkey before one or the other lets go.
Unfortunately this is a documented issue, has your engine ever been apart? Replacing with factory parts is one option another is the Fahey hub or going to a better harmonic balancer attachment method such as a pressed on unit from ATI (Custom). BMW remedied this with the B38 which uses a multibolt attachment method for the balancer. Sorry to hear.

Greg

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am sorry, this is quite a shame since I dismantled a B36 myself but the harmonic balancer is directly bolted to the end of the crank, correct?

Both crank hubs are the same?

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts