BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it's been approximately 4 years now since the first e60 M5s started roaming the streets,I figured that many must have racked some considerable mileage on their cars. I tried searching for a high mileage club so that i could join my fellow high milers, but apparently none have been formed yet .so i thought let's start one!

if your beast is 50k or above ,please mention the MY & mileage, and any significant repairs done (if any)

i'll start with myself:
my beast is an '06, currently 48,000 miles and as for major service it had a new clutch +smg hydraulic pump replaced at 40,000 miles

·
Registered
180 Posts
subscribed.

e60 is probably next for me. want to know what i'm in for...

So for how long/miles have you had your E39M5?

·
Registered
314 Posts
So for how long/miles have you had your E39M5?
about 7 months and 10k lovely miles. i'll probably hang on to her for another 2 years, and look for an '08 or '09 at that time.

never too early to start planning ahead...i already know my life just won't be complete unless at some point i live with that e60 (or e63 for that matter) exhaust note on a daily basis...i'm sure you understand.

·
Registered
180 Posts
about 7 months and 10k lovely miles. i'll probably hang on to her for another 2 years, and look for an '08 or '09 at that time.

never too early to start planning ahead...i already know my life just won't be complete unless at some point i live with that e60 (or e63 for that matter) exhaust note on a daily basis...i'm sure you understand.
Reason I ask is I'm cosidering getting into an '03 low-miles E39M5. I've test driven the wheels off an E60M5, but have never had the chance of trying out an E39. Aside from the clutch, how bullet-proof is the E39?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Reason I ask is I'm cosidering getting into an '03 low-miles E39M5. I've test driven the wheels off an E60M5, but have never had the chance of trying out an E39. Aside from the clutch, how bullet-proof is the E39?
suffice it to say i'm glad mine was under cpo warranty until last month (even though none of my issues were too serious).

the following items failed and were replaced under warranty -

- final stage unit (a/c)
- fuel exhaust valve (? - was causing ses light)
- starter

i'm on the original clutch with 52k miles and have not noticed any slipping, but i also don't beat on her.

other fairly common e39 issues are well documented here. none of them significant enough to sway one away from ownership of what is one of the greatest cars ever, in my opinion. and if you are at all mechanically inclined (i'm not), i wouldn't hesitate one bit. it's the labor costs that could kill you financially with this car.

·
Registered
331 Posts
2006 M5, 50,000 Miles

Interlagos Blue M5, 2006 with 50,358 wonderful miles. I could not be happier, well except for more horsepower. I just got my Dinan Rear Diff. changed under warranty, Thank you Dinan, for paying for everything, great job by Zimbrick BMW (Madison, WI) for the work. I also installed the
BSW Stage 1 speaker upgrade, and was also very pleased with the sound improvement.

And I'm heading to RoadAmerica on October 10th for a track day.

JDS M5

:1:

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Good thread....I'm not in the group, with 20k but enjoy'd reading...

·
Registered
766 Posts
54500 miles and driving almost every day

Had my share of issues earlier on, but between my dealer & BMW stepping up to the plate, all was repaired and made good. Haven't seen the dealer in the last 15k miles, tho I'm a few hundred overdue on my brake fluid change.

Similar experience with my E39 M5, but I'll be keeping the e60 way past the 85K I put on the e39.

·
Registered
190 Posts
2006, 80K miles. I drive about 100 miles a day round trip to work 5 days a week. Plus it is our preferred "trip car" (the wife's 911 is fun but not for a long trips). Only significant problem is "red cog of *****" a feww weeks ago due to a faulty clutch position sensor.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
'06 with 48K miles. Replaced the clutch and flywheel when I got the stroker engine at around 47K. I had no issues with clutch slippage, but when my installer took things apart in preparation for the stroker install, he noticed the clutch was significantly worn.

No other issues other than a peeling steering wheel so far.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
get that steering wheel trim replaced under warranty!
That is exactly my plan next week when I get my front brakes replaced.

·
Registered
94 Posts
E60 Sep 2005 68,000

Clutch at 40k and Vanos Pipe at 68k
(first vanos pipe replaced under warranty/recall at 8k)
All discs and Pads replaced at 63k
various other small things covered under warranty, battery, seat rattling etc.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Drivers Seat was making funny noises when driving and it was very annoying, something had worked itself loose and caused a Rattle noise.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Theres a 2006 with 145,000 miles on pistonheads for £24K

Auto100.co.uk : M5 SMG

Lots in the 60-80K bracket now.

Mines is 2005, 56.000 miles. New clutch at 40,000, new discs and pads all round at 53.000, new vanos pump and solnoides at 46,000 other wise all good. oh and by the way mines a good-un on oil, don't normally have to top up between oil changes (6-8000 miles!)

Regards

Jay

1 - 20 of 53 Posts