BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently posted a Do I Don't i thread on buying an M5- conclusion- I'm looking for one now :)

Question on high milers.
I have spotted a 2002 with 90k on it- FBMWSH.
My problem- i will do around 18k miles per year and want to sell it after 3 years.

So what are these cars like past the 100k mark-am i opening myself to a barrage of problems or do they fair well up to the 150k mark?
i am guessing it is going to be a nightmare to sell with 150k on it too.

Any one with experience of running and selling high milers ?
oh and i know i can get the car for £17k

From what i am seeing my alternative for about £19-20k but lower miles will be a 2000 model with about 60k on it- and more than likely without the nav & TV that the 2002 has :-(

Thanks guys... n galls

BTW- car in question is on ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2002-BMW-M5-BLACK_W0QQitemZ4575782224QQcategoryZ9837QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
It is impossible to tell without seeing the car in question. If the car has been driven a lot of long-distance motorway trips, it is not as hard on the car as if it has been a lot of short trips.

I would definitely advice you to get as much experience driving lower milage mint condition M5s so you have a solid base for comparison, or try to find a fellow board member to go test-drive the car.

Expect to need tyres, brakes, dampers, rubber bushings, a clutch, and a new wind-screen.

David

·
Registered
480 Posts
IMO, if the car has been properly maintained and not abused, high mileage in itself should not be a total deterrent, as the engines should easily go over 150K with no problem. However, other issues can and will arise-- brake wear, suspension, exhaust, etc., and as you know, BMW maintenance can be very $$$$.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
The car look nice, but looks can be deceiving. I've test-driven M5's that looked beautiful in the ads and photos, but was disappointed by the test drive. Not anything major, but enough minor things to not want to pay $35-40KUSD and to keep looking.

That said, I would not be deterred simply because the car has high mileage. If the car feels solid and 'newish' (you know this pretty quickly when you drive it), has the pedigree (with big hitters such as clutch, tires and brakes recently attended to), your odds are good you will have a good experience. I have owned numerous high mileage BMWs, and aside from more more expensive consumables, I don't expect anything horrific with the M5 as it ages to the 150k mark and beyond.

Cheers,

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am about to break 130,000 miles, and have taken a new job that will see me commuting 900 miles per week, and my only worry is the cost of running the beast - petrol, tyres, brakes etc.

If you going to spend alot of time in a car why drive a banger? As i have found the only frustrating thing about a 100 mile commute in an M5 is that it is not 150.

The biggest hurdle when you re sell is the widely held opinion in the UK that cars fall apart at 90,000 miles. I intend to drive my M5 until well over 200,000 miles and have liitle doubt she will do it with ease.

You will save a few £k when you buy but then sell for a few £k less - all things are equal.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
jim mc d said:
I am about to break 130,000 miles, and have taken a new job that will see me commuting 900 miles per week, and my only worry is the cost of running the beast - petrol, tyres, brakes etc.

If you going to spend alot of time in a car why drive a banger? As i have found the only frustrating thing about a 100 mile commute in an M5 is that it is not 150.

The biggest hurdle when you re sell is the widely held opinion in the UK that cars fall apart at 90,000 miles. I intend to drive my M5 until well over 200,000 miles and have liitle doubt she will do it with ease.

You will save a few £k when you buy but then sell for a few £k less - all things are equal.
I think you are leading the pack for high mileage beasts.... nice to hear encouraging things from out there in uncharted territory... :M5thumbs:

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi There

Does the car have the BMW extended warranty?...in the UK as long as the owner renews it every year, it can be renewed past 100,000 miles. (it costs about £900 per year now)

Mine recently had it's second service 2 at 114,000 miles, where it needed about £8k of work (vanos, new steering box) which was covered under warranty.

Personally I wouldn;t buy a high mileage one without the warranty, and I'm happy to report that the warranty really does work past 100k miles

Cheers

Guy

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
jim mc d said:

Well said! My hat's off to you. I can only aspire to 130K; ....82K and counting!

-Dave

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Have an independent mechanic inspect the car with a fine tooth comb. The only other issue, which you have already mentioned, is maintenance and repairs. They are very costly$$$$$. If $$$$ is not an issue, then by all means a well maintained M5 with high mileage is the way to go. Good luck with your future purchase:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oh, God. Now you have started me thinking. My 2000 model has done 65k, and i'm thinking I have to sell her soon or she'll be worth nothing. Living in the Middle East so much more harsh on the car, extreme temperature, dust etc. Saying that have had no problems since a Vanos replacement at 15k.

In Dubai will probably get around 16 grand (sterling), budget I have to add to that would buy me a '01 or '02 911 carrera. Now i'm thinking screw that, spend 5 grand to tidy up the Beast and keep running her for another couple of years. Seriously, with 30 grand to spend including trade-in, am I going to get anything that will come close. Views please?? She's Estoril Blue with blue/black leather if that helps (wipes away a tear) :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Guy10 said:
Hi There

Does the car have the BMW extended warranty?...in the UK as long as the owner renews it every year, it can be renewed past 100,000 miles. (it costs about £900 per year now)

Mine recently had it's second service 2 at 114,000 miles, where it needed about £8k of work (vanos, new steering box) which was covered under warranty.

Personally I wouldn;t buy a high mileage one without the warranty, and I'm happy to report that the warranty really does work past 100k miles

Cheers

Guy
Great to hear you say that Guy. I just bought my first M5 2001 with 125k and I do 1000 miles a week at the moment. I bought it from a friend who has owned it from new and it has extended warranty until July 2006. (The best bit is I paid 10k for it)

After browsing this board after buying the car I nearly sold it right away, after reading about problem after problem with the engine. Everytime it pinks or rattles I nearly die of shock.

Glad to know that BMW UK don't always palm you off with excuses to not pay out on the higher milage cars.

jamesm

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Mitchdubai said:
Oh, God. Now you have started me thinking. My 2000 model has done 65k, and i'm thinking I have to sell her soon or she'll be worth nothing. Living in the Middle East so much more harsh on the car, extreme temperature, dust etc. Saying that have had no problems since a Vanos replacement at 15k.

In Dubai will probably get around 16 grand (sterling), budget I have to add to that would buy me a '01 or '02 911 carrera. Now i'm thinking screw that, spend 5 grand to tidy up the Beast and keep running her for another couple of years. Seriously, with 30 grand to spend including trade-in, am I going to get anything that will come close. Views please?? She's Estoril Blue with blue/black leather if that helps (wipes away a tear) :)
Hey Mitch, saw your car in Dubai a while back parked up, cant remember where exactly. My car has just hit the 180,000 km mark and I have recently replaced the gearbox and dash cluster, Maf's (now reading 161 MAF test)and Hydraulic steering pipes all replaced. Had a compression test recently and it is AOK. Goes like a rocket and very economical on oil usage, done 4,000km since last oil service and not a drop used so far.
Sure the gearbox was expensive but I have no idea how it was driven before I bought it 2nd hand, but I suspect it was pushed hard as the Cat's have been removed and I suspect the ECU has been reprogrammed.
I love my car and it is worth every penny. Was looking at replacing a while back under pressure from her indoors but nothing near it for the price I paid plus maybe another 50,000AED I could afford if need be.
Keep it mate and look after her and she wont dissapoint you in my opinion.
You should join our thread How many middle east based on the board.
WillM5AD

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've ordered a new E60 M5, I must say with a very heavy heart. I don't have garage space for both my present M5 and the new one, so I can't keep both. I've got 75,000 miles on a titanium silver/black 2001 with one or two rock chips on the front, but otherwise pristine. Absolutely great car! Best I've ever owned. I know I'll be hosed on the trade-in. I may still keep this car and refuse delivery on the new one, because when you pay $60,000-$65,000 to swap M5's, the new one had better be that much better, and I just can't believe it will be. Sigh. Sorry for the remorse. Just had to get it out. I knew you guys would understand.

Richard

·
Registered
248 Posts
rsteele said:
I've ordered a new E60 M5, I must say with a very heavy heart. I don't have garage space for both my present M5 and the new one, so I can't keep both. I've got 75,000 miles on a titanium silver/black 2001 with one or two rock chips on the front, but otherwise pristine. Absolutely great car! Best I've ever owned. I know I'll be hosed on the trade-in. I may still keep this car and refuse delivery on the new one, because when you pay $60,000-$65,000 to swap M5's, the new one had better be that much better, and I just can't believe it will be. Sigh. Sorry for the remorse. Just had to get it out. I knew you guys would understand.

Richard
Simple solution: Don't trade your e39 in. Sell it to a board member. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
BTW, I have a nice '00 for sale. One owner, silver/black, XM, two sets of wheels, no damage, 56k miles, always garaged and never abused. BMW/Motorola built in phone included. $37,500

In Virginia. email me.

Steve

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
TurboCarrera said:
BTW, I have a nice '00 for sale. One owner, silver/black, XM, two sets of wheels, no damage, 56k miles, always garaged and never abused. BMW/Motorola built in phone included. $37,500

In Virginia. email me.

Steve
Do you notice that he's in the UK and possibly want a RHD spec car.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Yes I did notice that he lives on the Island and wants a RHD car, particularly since I previously lived as a guest in his country and drove RHD cars; however, the thread has seemed to have attracted some people who live in the states, it being about the practicality of buying high mileage cars, and one of those stateside people might possibly be interested in obtaining a low mileage car.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Those wheels are not the OEM finish, not to my liking, but hey .. each to their own

1 - 19 of 19 Posts