BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to start a thread for people with E39 M5 with over 100K miles to share their experienceand repair and services.

There seems to be so many thread about focusing on "how low can you go" with garage queen mileage. This thread is for the true road warriors that take the beast to the limit on a daily basis.

I believe the highest mileage Beast I saw is 230K and was still running strong.

My car has 111K and running like a champ, only thing had to replaced was the MAFS, Bushings, Tune Up, Fluid Services, Alternator, Battery and of course the normal stuf like brakes and tires.

·
Registered
148 Posts
33K HERE but really hoping to be able to hold onto to the beast and drive the beast to see as many miles as you guys! Great to see the reliability that our beast are capable of- Dave

·
Registered
970 Posts
93k miles. Planning to keep it for another year or two. Do any of you guys thinking about future replacement? What it is going to be? New M3 or M5?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Next car will be whatever car offer the best bang for the bucks. Eventually the E60 price will drop and it will become more affordable.

I may be even consider a used mid to late 90's Porsche Turbo.

·
4,353 Posts

this is the 3rd thread about mileage...the first one had the guy with a 230kmls and about 5+pgs of cars

i dont get why the admins haven't merged the threads yet?

no offense just saying it's dumb to have 3seperate threads

....anyway my m5 when i had it had 24011 and i returned it with 25057...:crying:what a ***** that was ...come april i'll be shopping for another and i hope to roll the clock on it...the only thing that would keep me from doing that would be me getting an F50, because then thats gonna do the 1million/2m/3m/4m+ mile...do supecars even have clocks bigger than 5digits{it's a freaking shame, i saw an f40 on piston heads with 120-130mls on it:crying:}

·
Registered
255 Posts
Turned over to 100K this past week and treated my lady to a new set of magnaflow 14816 cans and removed some excess body fat (by way of a hefty resonator). Other than the normal wear and tear it items (tires, clutch, fluids, etc) I have had nothing but exciting drives during the last 2 years and 47K miles of onership. I'm looking forward to many more years of fun!<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
156,000 miles on MY 2000 - too many repairs to list - scratch that WAY too many.

1 worth noting which has been mentioned about 100 times on this board - sorry for the rerun guys - two spun bearings resulting in mooned connecting rods which put the crankshaft out of whack.

Never tracked it and the oil service was way beyond recommended intervals and the oil level never was below 1/2 quart down.

This happened at 101,000 miles and at about 180,000, I will be thinking seriously of the proactive rod bearing replacement to avoid that nightmare again.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
hmmmm parts repair list cherrsagaiouich

But well worth it! Ill Never get rid of this beast

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've been asked several times of what I would replace the M5 with, and I honestly don't know. I have not found a worthy replacement that offers what this car offers me. That is why I plan on keeping it for a while.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
186000km, I will not mention all the things that I have had to change or the money spent but the good news is none of it was engine related. Compression test was done about 7000km ago and no problems.

·
Registered
598 Posts
186000km, I will not mention all the things that I have had to change or the money spent but the good news is none of it was engine related. Compression test was done about 7000km ago and no problems.
@Andy; What where the results? I had mine done last week and the results are....strange.

Do you have a copie of the sheet that came out of the compressor tester?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Replaced:
1 CPS
1 Set of MAFS
Rear subframe (cracked)
Driveshaft guibo
Thrustarm bushings (need to replace again)
Stock CATS with magnaflows.
Do you remember the model of the Magnaflow cat you used ? Is it a universal one or something along the line for the E39?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
@Andy; What where the results? I had mine done last week and the results are....strange.

Do you have a copie of the sheet that came out of the compressor tester?

I never got the compression test results from BMW all I got was the diagnostic's report. They first said to me that basied on the diagnostic's report there was no need to do a compression test because the diag test returned perfect results. PM me your results an I will see if they match mine.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Mine just turned over 90k miles, and I have had it since new. In the last year the maintenance costs have gone way up, but that's no big deal considering how trouble free the car has been. First set of brakes, clutch, and thrust arms in the last 12k miles. 1 qt oil every 5k miles.

I have been tempted to replace it with some bright shiney things, including a TT Porsche, but in the end I have kept it and plan to keep for more years to come. If anything happened to it, though, that new V8 M3 or TT diesel X5 are looking pretty good.

Steve
00 M5

1 - 20 of 203 Posts