BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some issues with my 2000 LMS M5 with 73.000 km that I recently purchased. When I drive so there is pressure on the drivetrain (and in normal Finnish roadspeed 80+ km/h when there is little other noice e.g from engine) there is a clear high "pitching" noice from the rear "axle" (?). Immediately if I let up the gas it stops. Furthermore if I gas quickly and let it up, there is a clear "gap" that you feel in the drivetrain. According to a mechanic it is not from the rubber bushings but from the "rear axle". Some part(s) are apparently worn so the settings in the "rear axle" are screwed up and hence the noice and "gap". Any ideas/experience what it is and what can be done?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fortunately I bought the car from a car dealer, so I can assume that part of the potential costs (majority I hope) will be paid by the dealer.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Two possibilities....

1. Check your rear differential mounts! They tend to wear and tear off!
2. Check your differential fluid! High pitch noise comes from that!

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Do a search here, there are plenty of threads on that issue.

Here's one of them:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44220

In my case, the whine would increase and decrease as the throttle was applied and released. BMWNA ended up changing my transmission under warranty.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, thanks guys. I'll start with the easy one - change fluids. Apparently Castrol SAF-XJ should be quite ok.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts