BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: I am not sure if this has already been discovered but here goes...
I have been looking for an inexpensive way to make my own high flow air mass meters simply because I do not want to spend $599.00/ea for other brands. While under the hood of an E38 740 short sport I noticed that its meters were much larger than mine and had the same mounting as my M5's meters internals. I ran to the bmw wrecking yard, purchased some old E38 meters for $50, swapped the guts, routed my custom piping, and voilà! Instant high flow air mass meters :trophy_bronze:! Now its off to the local Dinan dealer for a Stage 4 software download. :cheers: :M5rev:

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
No MAFS(alpha-n) > high-flow MAFS

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<---- In San Diego. How to get alpha-n? lol

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Ryan,

Are you intending on putting the car on a dyno to check the fuelling? If the diameter of the 740i housing is different, I'm thinking the MAFs could be giving the wrong information on airflow to the ECU and then the fuelling would be messed up. This might make your car run rich, so you'd lose some power and fuel economy, or it may run lean, get too hot and blow the engine up.

Personally, I'd either run a MAF-less engine tune (I believe it can be done by post) or get the proper ones. Not meaning to p*ss on your bonfire, but I'd certainly check the fuelling.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 740 ones are just about the exact diameter as the Dinan ones and coupled with Dinan's stage 4 download should work exactly the same. "Stage 4 Engine Software is for use with Cold Air Intake, Header System, and High Flow Air Mass Meters".

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
As long as you have considered the fuelling; I think a dyno run is a good idea anyway on a car running MAFs to keep an eye on it. These cars are very sensitive to correct sensor readings, and it would be a mighty shame to spoil an engine for the sake of some MAFs. If you haven't done so already, read up on the VW MAFs; they look identical to ours but with a slightly different part number and a lower price tag. A discussion on whether they are as good as the proper ones requires many buckets of popcorn.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as you have considered the fuelling; I think a dyno run is a good idea anyway on a car running MAFs to keep an eye on it. These cars are very sensitive to correct sensor readings, and it would be a mighty shame to spoil an engine for the sake of some MAFs. If you haven't done so already, read up on the VW MAFs; they look identical to ours but with a slightly different part number and a lower price tag. A discussion on whether they are as good as the proper ones requires many buckets of popcorn.
Oh yes absolutely. It will go on a dyno very soon just to double check everything is working properly together. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ryan,

Are you intending on putting the car on a dyno to check the fuelling? If the diameter of the 740i housing is different, I'm thinking the MAFs could be giving the wrong information on airflow to the ECU and then the fuelling would be messed up. This might make your car run rich, so you'd lose some power and fuel economy, or it may run lean, get too hot and blow the engine up.

Personally, I'd either run a MAF-less engine tune (I believe it can be done by post) or get the proper ones. Not meaning to p*ss on your bonfire, but I'd certainly check the fuelling.
MAFless tune is something I have wanted to do but can't find a place to do it. I live in San Diego, CA. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Evolve does remote tunes. They ship you the cable, you follow their directions and email your DME dump. Sal does his magic and he emails you back the tuned DME file and you write it back to your DME.

IIRC, a number of forum sponsors are evolve dealers in the US.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I believe that the Evolve tune can be administered via a cable they can send you through the post and as far as I know it isn't limited to the UK.

I know you have tough emissions checks over there, I'm sure that there will be some info on the board as to whether the Evolve tune is suitable and obtainable over there. A search might find something useful (I'd try and find some info for you, but we're off to bed).

Reactions: Boosted1

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
Thank you for this. I read through and it seems as though my idea is going to work perfect with Dinan stage 4 software. We shall see!
Strange. You will buy Dinan Stage 4 software- on the POSSIBILITY that it MIGHT work...but not Evolve. (which WILL work)

Weird how people are with some mod ideas they get fixated on.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Strange. You will buy Dinan Stage 4 software- on the POSSIBILITY that it MIGHT work...but not Evolve. (which WILL work)

Weird how people are with some mod ideas they get fixated on.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Hook-ups sir. Super cheap mafs and special prices on Dinan downloads = best way to go for my situation. If it doesn't work properly...oh effin well, I tried it so noone else has to. If it does work however... :biggrinbounce:

Isn't that what sharing your ideas and experiences on a forum are for?

Either way, someone wins. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Stage 4 is for use with headers. Stage 3 is what you need if you are only doing housings. Are you planning any other mods or doing anything with the intake? I was going to use this CAI:

Cosmo Racing E39 M5 CAIhttp://www.cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp?cid=165&pid=1434

and use parts from here:

Intake Hoses, IntakeTubing, and Intake Clamps - Intake Hoses dot com
or
Silicone Boots - SiliconeIntakes.com

or maybe one of those turbo plumbing kits off of eBay to assemble my own intake.

Doesn't seem like there is any real gain just doing the MAFS housings. At least it will be a data point.

-Josiah

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
<----- Supersprint headers, no cats, 3" piping, custom x-pipe, mufflers, 740i maf bodies w/ stock m5 maf internals, custom cold air intake.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
You've got supersprint headers and no cats.............. but MAFs?
Go with Evolve, remove your MAFs and be done with it.
You tell them your mods and they make you the optimal tune.
Evolve has been able to get about 15whp more on the Dinan S3 by just their tuning instead of the dinan software IIRC..
Bite the bullet its worth it.

Reactions: ryan619

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
On my first M5 I had SS headers/cats/x-pipe/Magnum mufflers, Dinan CF CAI/high-flow MAFS housings and I didn't really like the Dinan Stage 4 software. I mean, in certain situations from certain RPMs in certain temperatures it felt pretty good but most of the time, well, come to find out, it my displeasure may have been because the Stage 4 software was designed around a different header style than the SS. I was all set to get a tune from Evolve before I wrecked it. Today, my otherwise stock M5 with the Stage 1 Alpha-N tune from Evolve feels stronger, quicker and like it pulls harder in every gear than my last somwehat-heavily modified one did. Just my experience.

Reactions: ryan619
1 - 20 of 23 Posts