BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my high beam H7 bulbs with 65W versions, but noticed that one (left) beam is higher than the right. Problem is, both low beam HIDs are level and at the same height. I read in a previous post that there is no independent high beam adjustment, and that only the high and low beams can be adjusted together. Is that true?

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Indeed it's true

There are 2 knobs per headlight. The one towards the center of the car adjusts height and the one towards the edge adusts side-to-side.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i believe that the driver's side low beam needs to be a little lower than the passenger side when the headlights are aimed properly. with hid low beams their should be a distinct "step up pattern" were in the middle between both lights their should be a very clear elevation difference. I'll try to find a picture for you to make this a little clearer.

google "hid cutoff" and then select images from the top and you will have plenty of pictures with examples of proper hid low beam aiming to keep from blinding oncoming traffic.

Reactions: gherardini

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I get what you're saying, and I agree. My passenger side is higher than the driver's side. I have mine aimed so that a car 50 feet away gets the light cut off right below the window.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
i believe that the driver's side low beam needs to be a little lower than the passenger side when the headlights are aimed properly. with hid low beams their should be a distinct "step up pattern" were in the middle between both lights their should be a very clear elevation difference. I'll try to find a picture for you to make this a little clearer.

google "hid cutoff" and then select images from the top and you will have plenty of pictures with examples of proper hid low beam aiming to keep from blinding oncoming traffic.
My driver's side low beam is lower than my passenger side and I was wondering if this was correct or not.

Thanks for the information. I can leave it alone now.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
i work for a dealer and they have set up the correct patterns on the shop door with the floor marked i set mine up to x3 height and there great people move out of my way now no need to flicker the high beams :1:

·
Registered
230 Posts
sorry for the kinda of half ***** info i gave yall last night. I responded to this post at 9:45pm and was trying to make it to the movies to see Harold and Kumar at 10:05pm. Aiming headlights is a pain in the butt, mostly because it is hard to find a level surface next to a wall to go through the headlight aiming procedure. most parking lots or driveways have a slight incline too them for water runoff. if your lights need adjusting I would advise taking it to a dealer or a reputable indy and let them do it.
...set mine up to x3 height and there great people move out of my way now no need to flicker the high beams
I had mine up too, but i got too many flashes from oncoming traffic, so back down they went.

for others reference HID lighting w/ Projector headlamps should look like this picture. please note the driver to passenger cutoff step up on the right fence. the second picture will show illegal(in U.S) retrofit of HID kits in a reflector(classic) halogen style headlight. note how the light is dispersed all over the place than when compared to the first pic where the light abruptly ends at its highest points.

Attachments

Reactions: gsfent and Mike S.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All these posts are great for low beam adjustment, but I still have a problem with the high beams being out of adjustment when the low beams (HIDs) are fine. I noticed that the mounting system for the high beams is a bit tacky, since it relies on friction of the electrical connectors to hold the flange of the bulb against the plastic mounting holder.

Where should the high beams be aimed when the low beams are in alignment? Anybody have any pictures of both high and low beams on (or just high beams on)?

·
Registered
230 Posts
usually high beams are aimed properly when low beams are. in other words there is only one adjustment for both highs and lows. since the hid headlight assembly only has 2 adjustments per headlight, up/down left/right, I assume there is no individual high beam adjustments. maybe something is broken? you might want to pm umnitza and ask him.

Reactions: m5 deamon

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
usually high beams are aimed properly when low beams are. in other words there is only one adjustment for both highs and lows. since the hid headlight assembly only has 2 adjustments per headlight, up/down left/right, I assume there is no individual high beam adjustments. maybe something is broken? you might want to pm umnitza and ask him.
I don't think anything is broken, as the beams aren't way off. Just seems that the design is poor, since I have always had independent adjustment of both high and low beams in my other BMWs. Perhaps I will look again at the high beam mounting setup, to be sure the flanges of the H7 are mounted flush, and that the twist lock assembly is seated.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Just to rule things out, but are you sure that the bulb/socket is mounted in the ousing properly?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to rule things out, but are you sure that the bulb/socket is mounted in the ousing properly?
Yes. I re-mounted both sides last night. I checked to make sure the flange base on the bulb was flush against the holder mounting points, and lubed the O-ring. Also made sure the holder was locked in place, but it's tough to get your fingers in there to twist it.

Perhaps my left side low beams are a bit high, since they appear to be level with the right side, and from the info above, they should be lower. This weekend, I'll try to check the alignment in a nearby shopping center lot.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Has anyone experienced an intermittent auto leveling on the headlights when you first turn them on? Normally, the lights just come on and move up to the right level. Just recently I noticed that my lights, every now and then, don't "pop" up right away, instead they come up intermittently. Is this normal? The temperature has dropped a little bit where I'm at currently, so I'm assuming it could be cold circuitry that's causing the intermittent leveling.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Has anyone experienced an intermittent auto leveling on the headlights when you first turn them on? Normally, the lights just come on and move up to the right level. Just recently I noticed that my lights, every now and then, don't "pop" up right away, instead they come up intermittently. Is this normal? The temperature has dropped a little bit where I'm at currently, so I'm assuming it could be cold circuitry that's causing the intermittent leveling.
I notice that my car does this also, I am not sure if it does it every time though.

My lights are really bad, like they are adjusted too low, but, when I adjust them up they only seem to remain like that for a day, the next time I use the car they are back to being too low.

I wonder could it be something to do with the level sensors themselves?

Richie.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts