BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So I've had my '00 M5 for a couple weeks now. Really love the car. I have some questions that I wanted to ask about, see if it is a "norm" for the car, or a common issue, or a weird issue.

First, it seems whenever the engine is running, I automatically have dim runninglights from the high-beam bulbs. My '00 540i did not do this. When you turn the light knob 1 click, the corner running lights will come on, and 2 the normal beams will come on and the dim high's turn off (can't remember if they turn off with the 1st click or 2nd). Pushing the highbeam lever forward yields highbeams at full intensity.

Separately, I just installed some new headlight covers with integrated LED angel eyes. Basically, there's a hot and a ground running out of them, and it's up to me to wire/install them. On the 540i I got the same lenses, and wired them into the running light (corners) lead that came with the first turn of the headlight knob. I would ideally like them to just automatically come on without me needing to turn anything, as I sometimes forgot to turn off the running lights when I parked the car. If I can't get rid of the dim high beam running light, it would be cool to tap into that, but I fear I would lose the angel eyes with any other setting of the switch (ie. with the headlights on I would lose the angel's.) Any recommendations for the best hot wire to tap into?

Also, it seems when the display screen is on, it will stay powered but blank when I turn the car off. Unless it times out after a minute? I only stayed at my car for a few moments, and it did not turn off. Previously, whenever I would unlock the car, I would notice the screen powered but blank also. Interestingly tho, I had the car sitting for a week or so without having driven it, and the battery wasn't dead. So I don't know.

Are there any other qwerks that I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks all,

Kevin

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I really want to ditch the whole "high beam bulb being dimly lit as a running light" (except when the low beams are on)... any easy way to do this?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well, "easy" depends on the doer, to a degree. Search for navcoder software - this feature is a setting that can be configured, along with things like door locking behavior, by the right software. A dealer can do it - so perhaps the easiest way to resolve is to visit a dealer and pay them to change the setting.
My $0.02,
Ed

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ed,
Thanks for the input. Glad to hear its a setting, i was worried that there was a wiring issue. On my 540 i had the angel eyes tapped into the corners. If i can set it so the corners automatically come on when the engine is running, that would be perfect.
My owners manual cones in tomorrow, hopefully that will have something on how to do those settings. I hate the dealership in Nashville, they are the worst at upsell and overcharging that i have ever seen

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yeah, I got lucky. For both the 750 and the 540iT, the Previous owners turned off the DRL feature. There is a fitting for a euro city light bulb ( at least on the e38 ), and I plan on completing this mod - I have the holder and the bulbs. I have to wire it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts