BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
837 Posts
How much and can you do it yourself? maybe a link to your ebay site, thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i bought 6000k bulbs, they are more white w/ hint of blue. Not a perfect match, but way closer then the crap yellow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
amrit50 said:
well i bought 6000k bulbs, they are more white w/ hint of blue. Not a perfect match, but way closer then the crap yellow.
My Philips purple definitely are not bright, but they look nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
Could you post the installation instructions on this thread?
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
Is the light distribution pattern changed from stock?

My fogs only illuminate a few feet in front of the car (like 5-10 feet) and by the time I'd see it, I'd hit it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
More importantly what did you do to the angel eyes - stock are really yellow

-jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
ard said:
Is the light distribution pattern changed from stock?

My fogs only illuminate a few feet in front of the car (like 5-10 feet) and by the time I'd see it, I'd hit it.
While those lights really look cool, the real issue for me would be as asked by Adam, how do they improve their intended purpose? Given the intensity of xenon lights, these may only increase the amount of glare one looks through in foggy weather conditions.

Probably the reason why the French used yellow headlights and fog lights in all of their cars years ago.

However, more importantly the illumination pattern should stay consistent with lights used for fog application, i.e. flat with broad area coverage that adds depth perception without increased glare. If increased intensity was all you needed then we all would just use our high beams.

Ken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
howler said:
Could you post the installation instructions on this thread?
Thanks
Installation isn't too difficult, I recently fitted the bimian ones, from the pics, it looks pretty much an identical kit, the wiring plugs fit into your existing wire plug and then this goes into the ballast, with another output from the ballast into the new hid bulb. Mounting the ballasts within the front bumper in the corners.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,226 Posts
I have had the HID fogs for three years and I highly recommend the upgrade. The fogs become useful as opposed to a decoration when you go HID. I have driven in fog on occassion with just them on and it is a vast improvemnet over the OEM. Yes, they do look better with the low beams but that is only part of it.

One piece of advice for anyone looking at this upgrade. If you have had your car for mor than 10,000 miles without any protection over the glass lense of the fog light housing, replace the entire glass lense when you upgrade to the HID's. Why you ask? The simple reason is that the foglights are onloy as good as the lense and the reflector. Your lense will have a lot of pitting after a lot of miles because the lights are down loww and pick up quite a bit of fine road debris.

If you are spending the $500 to $600 on the upgrade, change out the lenses and put the clear protection on them as well. You will see the difference and be protected from that point on.

As I said, this is a great upgrade, just be aware of the other things that need to be taken care of first to get the most out it.

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,935 Posts
Tin said:
Installation isn't too difficult, I recently fitted the bimian ones, from the pics, it looks pretty much an identical kit, the wiring plugs fit into your existing wire plug and then this goes into the ballast, with another output from the ballast into the new hid bulb. Mounting the ballasts within the front bumper in the corners.
I agree, I did the umnitza ones. The bezel around the foglight just pulls out, but you have to pull pretty hard. And I found the best place for the ballast was on the "floor" of the front bumper. Everything is plug and play. Light distribution is good, although not sure it will be any improvement in fog.
Regards,
Jerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
gsfent said:
I agree, I did the umnitza ones. The bezel around the foglight just pulls out, but you have to pull pretty hard. And I found the best place for the ballast was on the "floor" of the front bumper. Everything is plug and play. Light distribution is good, although not sure it will be any improvement in fog.
Regards,
Jerry
yep, I was alittle concerned if there was a pile up of water which may come in contact with the ballast itself and possibly cause additional issues, hence i put them about 1-2inches above the curve of the bumper.

Light distribution is known to be lower than the equivalent halogen ones, but its also for other road users to see that there is another car there, a full 6000k xenon frontend is certainly very very bright!! :wroom:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They have better lighting on the sides of the car, when I make turns, I can really see it. The angel eyes are ccfl, since this car is a 2000, it didn't come w/ angel eyes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Nolift911 said:
More importantly what did you do to the angel eyes - stock are really yellow

-jeff
I'll second this question, apparently US models can swap out the LED's in the rings (at least it looks like it). I had thought that something to do with the euro versions could only swap out the LED's but if that's not the case, I'd like to find out how myself also! :cheers:

Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,226 Posts
SeanMD said:
I'll second this question, apparently US models can swap out the LED's in the rings (at least it looks like it). I had thought that something to do with the euro versions could only swap out the LED's but if that's not the case, I'd like to find out how myself also! :cheers:

Sean
Sean,

There are no LED rings in the Angel" rings in the headlight assembly. It is simply a 5 watt incandecent bulb, one for each set of rings.

LED would be nice though.

Mark
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top