BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my car today after it sat for 142 days on Tire Cradles hooked up to a Delrin Battery Tender in a heated warehouse.

Added air to the tires and cranked the engine. It fired up without hesitation and my Valentine 1 and Stealth One went into full alert mode.

Drove the car to my shop for a full check out and fluid changes.

Getting ready for Timmayfest...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
970 Posts
Took mine from my parents garage few days ago. Also had it hooked to battery tender all winter. Started from first crank. Only thing concerned me was ticking sound coming from driver side bank. Sounded like valve???? But it went away after 10 minutes or so. Drove it for a day. Not it is in the shop getting new oil, transmission mounts, shifter bushing, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, windshield seal and few more things. Can't wait to pick it up and burn some rubber :M5rev:

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Lots of our cars when sitting for a long time have the lifter tick. Mine does.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
IRISH M5 awakes. I like!

Thanks for the video too Richard, VERY entertaining to watch!!

Reactions: IRISH M5

·
Registered
539 Posts
Very much looking forward to cranking my Beast over. I sat in the garage with it this past weekend, reading Roundel and Bimmer and sipped away on an ice cold Sebago Brewing Company beer. Not a bad afternoon. It gets the same treatment as everyone else that has chimed in - tire pads, full tank of V Power and BMW battery tender plugged in. Started the 540i a couple weekends ago and it fired right up on first crank so I can imagine the same will hold true for the M5. Looking to maybe hit 52k miles on it this year. Haha.

Bavarian Autosport 2011.. that is what I am counting down the days for with the Beast.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Congrats everyone for getting there car out! I wish mine was running..I'll probably be a now-it-all out of jealousy.

A lot of people change their oil after they get their car out of long term storage. It's actually a lot better to put new oil in right before they put it in long term storage. Let me know if this has been stated before, or if you want the theory behind this. I am new to this board and was too lazy to search for it. It was just easy to post it real fast.

Hope I didn't step on anyways toes!

Enjoy the nice weather,
Adam

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Year-round beast drivability FTW :wroom:

·
Registered
245 Posts
I still have another 3 weeks to wait for mine. It's been away since middle of November and I have been visiting it from time to time.

There is still a bit of snow around here in some areas and the roads haven't been cleared from all the rocks thrown on them over the winter.

I can't wait to re-awaken the beast!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have had mine in hibernation in my heated garage next to my E21 since november....also hooked up to a battery conditioner.

When i started it i also noticed it had developed a ticking sound....i nearly made a trouser cake when i heard it...but it went away when it warmed up....reading the previous comments has put me at ease!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Took mine out last weekend, been put away since the end of October. Put some new V power in there and drove it till it needed some more. Filled the tank with new fuel , checked the tires. Did the full spring detail on it. Ready for driving season. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.