BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading thro' the Autocar UK - the M6 comes with Pirelli P-Zero Corsa [similar to Stradale and GT3 OE fitment]. The M5 comes with Conti Sports 2s or Michelins Pilot Sport 2.

I am think of replacing [after a few launch control starts :hihi: ] the car Contis with the Pirellis as they are similar sized to the M5.

Any thoughts ? Reason I asked is experiencing the CSL, the tyres make a heck of a difference to the car handling - which the Autocar article implies.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Not a bad idea. I've got a set of 19" BBS RS-GT's that I planned on using on my M5, and I may get a new set of tires as well. The wheels are forged 2-piece and look much better IMO. They're also a few lbs lighter. I don't know if the Pirelli's are available in that size though.

I've also been thinking about getting the 20" version of the same wheels which would still weigh less than the OEM wheels. It made a huge difference on my 545 to go 'plus one' on the wheels. I just don't know if it would make that much of a difference on the M5.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The available OEM Pirelli P Zero Corsa for the M6 is in the same sizes as the std E60 M5 tires - 255/40-19 and 285/35-19 - so M5 owners will be able to swap them out from whatever comes like the Contis . The tread compound and tread pattern are specific for the M cars , just like the bespoke ones that come on the Ferrari Challenge Stradale and Porsche GT3RS, the other OEM fitments. They are different than the " off the rack " P Zero Corsa track day tires with their scant dry weather only tread pattern that you can buy from volume mail order places like the Tire Rack.

·
Registered
955 Posts
bm5kw said:
The available OEM Pirelli P Zero Corsa for the M6 is in the same sizes as the std E60 M5 tires - 255/40-19 and 285/35-19 - so M5 owners will be able to swap them out from whatever comes like the Contis . The tread compound and tread pattern are specific for the M cars , just like the bespoke ones that come on the Ferrari Challenge Stradale and Porsche GT3RS, the other OEM fitments. They are different than the " off the rack " P Zero Corsa track day tires with their scant dry weather only tread pattern that you can buy from volume mail order places like the Tire Rack.
where will us be able to purchase those P Zero Corsa specifically designed for M6 when it's time to replace the tire? BMW dealers?

·
Registered
68 Posts
SuperBMW said:
Havent seen M6's with anything other than Sport Contact 2, BMW and customer cars
I've seen a couple articles where they showed them on the car and made a big deal about how they contribute significantly to the M6's handling ( and they were frankly amazed BMW even had these spec'd for such an " executive " - type car ). So they are out there , hard as they might be to find initially.

·
Registered
225 Posts
But how come in all the photos that i have seen of the m6, they all have had Conti Sports 2 tires and not these new tires that have been mentioned in the articles?

~Alpha~

·
Registered
68 Posts
SuperBMW said:
but the same article says the M6 brakes are 345mm and 348mm when they are 374mm and 370mm
Then read the current EVO or CAR, which reviewed the same red M6 press car with the same P Zero Corsas, but a much longer discussion ABOUT these tires .

:3:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Thats interesting

They were all given the same car with those tires

My dealer showed me the parrts system only shows the Continentals for the m5 and M6 at the moment.

All the other cars we have seen delivered to customers all had Continentals

I have e-mailed 2 friends in Germany that have M5 or M6 on order to see what they can find out there

1 - 11 of 11 Posts