BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, technically I am a new owner...I have to fly down to Florida on friday to pick up my new-to-me 2000 Silverstone Dinan'd beut!...I must say the forum has helped me feel confident that the buy was a good one (extended warranty research, clutch options, etc.) The M5 won out against purchasing the CTS-V, and some exceptional older examples of the M5 in E28 and E34 trim. Boy I cannot wait to get her...

She's got a few performance upgrades that I absolutely cannot wait to test:
Dinan:
*Stage III Konis. I LOVE Koni products. Awesome performer on my Viper ACR
*CF Cold Air Intake
*Larger MAF's
*Front Strut Bar
*Stage III Software

*EvoSport Underdrive Pulleys
*Tubi Exhaust
*UUC Short Shifter
*Momo Shiftknob
*2001-up M sport steering wheel

While were on the subject of performance, its my nature not to leave well enough (or not quite well enough) alone, and I have some specific questions maybe some of you know the answers to:

1. Does anyone offer a 5-point harness solution? I would like to install the restraints at a minimum in the drivers seat.

2. Are the front splitters I see some offering functional? What type of downforce numbers and at what speeds? Is there rear aero to compliment this mod?

3. Aftermarket brake packages - Stoptech, Brembo etc...do any of the supporting vendors or ??? know the piston sizes for each brand of caliper? This may sound like an odd question but I race Vipers in SCCA and other venues and I have a few calipers with varying piston sizes that might work from a balance perspective. If they do, I may fab the brackets or convince Brembo or Matt at Stoptech to hook me up...

4. Is there a list of good, forged, track-worthy wheels (CCW for example) that fit the M5, and is there a good "track setup" that someone has already tried and tested at drivers events or ??? I would like to have a dedicated set for when I instruct or drive at HPDE's.

5. What is the recommended best-practices cure for reducing understeer in this particular vehicle? Pressure variances front to rear? Rear swaybar upgrade or ???

6. Anyone in VIRGINIA BEACH an enthusiast? AutoX, Roadracing etc...

Thanks for your time. Once I get some seat time I hope I can contribute to this forum, as it looks to be on-par with my home on viperclub.org (Bugeater there as well)

Wonder if I will sleep on thursday....mmmmmm

·
Registered
694 Posts
Woohoo! I remember the night before I picked up my car. I didn't sleep and drank coffee all night! cherrsagai

Congrats. Now the first thing you have to do is show PICS of your car so she can be properly introduced. Show us the pics you used to make your purchasing decision, and I'm sure others will chime in to answer some of your questions

:M5eyes:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Congratulations on the new purchase. Gonna be tough to wait until Friday isn't it? I can remember waiting for my car to be prepped and delivered.

As far as brakes... the best advice I can give is to talk to Dave Zeckenhausen (sp?) he's about as knowledgable as anyone on this board (or any others) about performance brakes.

Enjoy and congrats
Ben

·
Registered
590 Posts
Holy cow Bug, I don't think I can answer any of your questions but I can tell you this, I can't wait to drive my M every morning. There are quite a few qualified people on this site that will be able to help you.

Best of luck post some pics
Joe

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
First off, welcome!

I can answer a few of your questions, although I will leave some of them to those who can offer better explanations.

First off, we (BeastPower Motorsports Inc.) offer Schroth Harness belts for the M5. Let me know if your interested.

Secondly, your car seems to be pretty well setup for track/street work. Your Dinan Stg. 3 suspension already has an adjustable rear anti-sway bar and fixed camber plates. The Stg. 3 suspension is a very popular choice, and has proven to be a very good performing suspension, while not sacrifcing on the street.

A lot of guys use a second set of OEM wheels mounted on spare tires (street or R compound) as their track wheels, with good results. Others seem to be happy with BBS or Fikse. When mounting the OEM wheels for track duty, a lot of owners opt to mount rear wheels upfront, so they have the 9.5" wheels all around. This helps with more contact patch (275mm tire) and reduces understeer.

Keeping in mind that the M5 is a near 4,000 pound vehicle, I think you will be very happy with it's performance in it's present state. Adding harnesses and track wheels/tires will add to it, and your performance.

Let me know if you have any further questions, or if I can be of any assistance. Once again, congradulations on the car, and have fun!

Travis

·
Registered
754 Posts
Congratulations and welcome aboard. You will become addicted to this site within days of signing on. Mucho information from many knowledgable members and vendors.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow thats some quick replies.

Does M5board host images? Havent searched that yet...I have some real high rez images I could upload...or I could resize and upload.

Thanks for the quick hits on some of my questions...Travis I'll probably call ya and see how the shroth's are installed.

I can definately see why you would want to run a non-staggered setup on the track...I will probably have Mr. Purner build me a set of forged rims that work on the M5. (Owner of CCW, Complete Custom Wheels) Kinda stoked that the M5 uses a 275/18 stock...those are the stock front tire sizes on my Viper and I have spares that I dont use sitting in the garage!

I'll give Dave Z a jingle on the stoppers...

I think I will have to do up some pics, as the ones I have (except one) are all pretty much sections of the car for examination since I live in a different state relative to the owner.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hope this works...Heres a pic of my New Daily Driver, and my other BEAST...:cool:

Nevermind. I cant link to my member gallery at Viperalley.com

I uploaded here but there seems to be a grace period. Once you upload I assume you can tag an image in this thread, correct?

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Excellent! Congratulations, I picked my car up on a Monday morning. I was actually at the dealership 10 minutes before it opened. Let's just say that was the longest weekend of my life. More than worth the waithiha

·
10,455 Posts
We also use viper front tires, as they are (or at least used to be )cheaper to get a viper spec pilot sport compared to the bmw spec pilot sport.

For the harness: Schroth makes a 4 point unit that clips into the the seat belt receptacle and a couple of clips that you mount in your car, so you can install it at the track quickly. I have one, but i must admit i haven't used it since I got my CG Lock (i believe beastpower sells these, but they had a 'special deal' for bmwcca instructors about a year ago, which is how I got mine). It offers most of the restraint of the 4 pt harness, without the hassels and knowing your stock passive restraints will all work properly if needed.

Tires/understeer: Set your rear bar at the middle setting, or inner if you really like to hang the tail out. With the 275's at all 4 corners, you should have a nicely ballanced set up. You'll need 3mm spacers and longer lug bolts which you can get from tire rack, talk to Luke. THere are several 265-18 R compound tires available. I'm using the newish dunlop sport race on my stock wheels (dinan wheels for street use) as they were cheap!

Brakes: dave z is certainly the man, stoptech makes a nice kit, i have the front kit on my car.
Yes you can upload pics, there is an owners gallery.
Enjoy the car!
Mike

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Bugeater,

Yep, feel free to give us a call. But, if you do call, you will be talking to Daniel, not me. My affiliation with the company is through online customer service, as Daniel is the actual owner of the company.

As Mike mentioned, we also sell the CG Lock. This device seems to work very well for those who want to be held firmly into their seat, but don't want the side effects of a 4-point harness. Check out our website to get details on both products. Let me know if you have any more questions, or would like me to place an order on anything.

Travis

·
Registered
434 Posts
Bugeater said:
Hope this works...Heres a pic of my New Daily Driver, and my other BEAST...:cool:

Nevermind. I cant link to my member gallery at Viperalley.com

I uploaded here but there seems to be a grace period. Once you upload I assume you can tag an image in this thread, correct?
Yup. Check this link for a good explanation:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18247

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Congratulations on the purschsing the best all round car (in opinion) money can buy :M5thumbs: I bought my car in dec 99' and have never looked back

Back to your question, i will try and answer what i can and leave the rest for those who can give you a better answer.

Splitters, there are 3 companies that make splitters/ lip for the M5 that i know of. Hamann, Ac Schnitzer, and Discovery-automotive. Here are the pictures but i cant post the one from discovery because their site is temporary down. Im sure you can look around and find it when it gets up and running again.

Hamann splitters (2 pieces)

1 piece Hamann front lip

Ac Schnitzer splitters

regarding downfoce, well it would be difficult to tell you by how much and at what speed without putting the car in a wind tunnel but if you ask if there was a difference. The answer is yes.

There are plenty of rear spoliers out there. You just have to choose which you perfer. Here are some

Rd motorsport

Ac Schnitzer (1 piece)

(3 Piece)

Alpina V8S (what i have)

Hamann (most aggressive and with the most down force)

Regarding the wheels, the BBS CH are lightest on the market and do look good on the M5. Im not keen on the 275's up front cuz its just too much. The negative camber plates in the stage III dinan suspension do the job of eliminating understeer so no need for 275's up front in my opinion.

Rd motorsport

Hamann PG3's

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Welcome aboard :byebye:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Welcome aboard! Looks like you are going to be having a blast with your M5!
Robert

·
Registered
694 Posts
1badm5 said:
Welcome aboard! Looks like you are going to be having a blast with your M%!
Robert
Sounds like a neat stereo you have. Any pics? :hihi:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts