BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to say hi to all here.

I am a long time ///M fan, but until a couple of months ago only had the smaller models. I currently own an E46 M3 (6SP) that I got new back in '05 and a 1M.

A couple of months ago I decided to trade my '09 E90 M3 (6SP) (bought new) with 48K miles for this '08 M5 SMG with 29K miles that was owned by my business partner:

I already put about 5K additional miles on the beast. Drove it all the way up to Austin from Mexico City for a few days of vacation and went to a track day at COTA. I did a couple of sessions in the beast. All my cars see the track. However, I got the M5 because I wanted something more comfortable both for city driving and frequent long distance (300 miles or so round trip) trips to see my in-laws. I don't think it will se the track much because my smaller cars are better for that. But for everything else, OMG!

I do not miss my M3 one bit really. The M5 on the highway is simply unbeatable in it's combination of sybaritic comfort and absolute power. 4th gear passing power :applause:. OMG the way it pulls! At highway speeds it destroys my other cars. And the feeling of security and control at speed is simply fantastic.

This beast is in great shape. I immediately changed the oil when I got it and have all the parts for an Inspection II that I will have done at my Indy when it hits 50,000 KM in a month or so. I also painted both bumpers and refinished all 4 wheels to make it look new. It has been giving me a few intermittent DSC/Start Assistant faults that go away on most restarts. Already had my indy clean the steering sensor but it wasn't that. Former owner hit a curb hard just before delivering the car and after some research I think it may be the alignment (pulls slightly left). I am having it aligned right now. Will pick it up later, I hope that does the trick.

In any case, what a fantastic car. It has no warranty but the clutch was done about a year ago (10K miles or less) and it shifts smoothly and well. Budgeted for "surprises" knowing the reputation of the M5 but here's hoping it is somewhat reliable. It has only 34K miles after all. So far, I am loving it.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Welcome! love Space grey as it brings out the contours in the m5 which other colors don't.
How are you finding the SMG?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome! love Space grey as it brings out the contours in the m5 which other colors don't.
How are you finding the SMG?
Thanks. I think it isn't as bad as its reputation would suggest. On the fastest modes it is a lot of fun. And auto mode is sometimes bearable for traffic. It has taken me a while to perfect the way to get smooth shifts out of it. I can of course be smoother with the full manual but I am getting close with the SMG.

Here we didn't get any manual E60 M5s, so no choice of manual for me. I *might* have gone for that if available.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome, nice purchase!

Just got my 08 M5 less than a month ago and loving it, and happier with the SMG than I thought I would be.

Seems like the Euro SMG tune is a must as it really makes the shifts faster and smoother, I'm still researching it. at least buying from a friend/partner you should know what the car has been through, nice low miles.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Is it just me or does nobody know what the difference is between SMG and "Auto" is? I am having to explain the blatant differences to every single car enhusiast because they automatically assume it's an "auto" and therefore it sucks.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome, nice purchase!

Just got my 08 M5 less than a month ago and loving it, and happier with the SMG than I thought I would be.

Seems like the Euro SMG tune is a must as it really makes the shifts faster and smoother, I'm still researching it. at least buying from a friend/partner you should know what the car has been through, nice low miles.

Enjoy!
Cars here in Mexico are Euro-spec so it has the Euro SMG tune already fortunately. Also, full launch control (haven't tries yet, though).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it just me or does nobody know what the difference is between SMG and "Auto" is? I am having to explain the blatant differences to every single car enhusiast because they automatically assume it's an "auto" and therefore it sucks.
I guess it's just you. I know exactly what the SMG is. It still has an auto mode in there and I said it was bearable.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Welcome to the forum, enjoy the new beast.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Nice

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome here.
How did you like the M3 E90?
I loved that car. It was good to me, the most reliable BMW I have ever had. Not a glitch in almost 50K miles.

On track it is far superior to the M5 (except for power up top of course) but I really wanted something more comfortable and spacious and the chance came up to get this low mileage beast. I guess I am getting old :).

The M3 is a sharper driving tool, but the M5 is a better daily and an unbeatable highway express.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Nice and welcome

·
Registered
1,294 Posts

No, it's not just you. The problem is most people don't know what a clutch is. They think its the same as an autostick or the steptronic. I don't bother to explain anymore.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 23 Posts