BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't believe it. I've been driving my M5 since March, and just yesterday noticed the little flashlight in the glovebox. You can't see it from the driver's seat. I only noticed it while cleaning out the car before bringing it in to have the clutch checked out.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Steve,
I dont want to sound too "mushy" but youll find that BMWs are very well thought out. Every BMW Ive encountered (all post 1995 models) have those flash lights, as well as a very thoughtfully placed tool kit. The previous models had a special place to insert the special jack to lift the car to change out a flat. Very well thought out cars..

ME

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes indeed, they are well thought out cars. BTW I see you are from Westboro. I am from Shrewsbury. Is your M5 White? I have a black E34 M5 and I have noticed a white one cruising in the Northboro, Southboro area.

·
Registered
319 Posts
SteveP- Don't feel foolish. I was cleaning out my glovebox when turning in my 540 after a 36 month lease, when I found the flashlight (for the first time). Be aware to be alive, I always say!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Derrick - Nope - mine's Avus Blue. I've only seen one other M5 around the area, and it's silver. I saw it at Wagner, and then saw the very same car on 495 a couple days later.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Only an M5 owner cleans his car BEFORE he brings it in for service...

-----

Originally posted by SteveP:
Can't believe it. I've been driving my M5 since March, and just yesterday noticed the little flashlight in the glovebox. You can't see it from the driver's seat. I only noticed it while cleaning out the car before bringing it in to have the clutch checked out.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I just checked mine. It has the insert, but no flashlight!!
Called the dealer and said I have to buy it ´cause it is an "option".
Is he pulling my leg?

Ricardo

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I dont know about Mexico, but in my opinion that should come with the car.

ME

·
Registered
282 Posts
Originally posted by SteveP:
I'm still trying to find out why there are so many clutch problems with the M5? It seems like quite a few posts make reference to the problem. What's the deal?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm not as suspicious of the glovebox flashlight as I am of DSC. Popping the clutch with DSC active seems like it could cause a drivetrain problem...maybe an early clutch failure?

Originally posted by GMGM5:
I'm still trying to find out why there are so many clutch problems with the M5?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Originally posted by Derrick E:
Yes indeed, they are well thought out cars. BTW I see you are from Westboro. I am from Shrewsbury. Is your M5 White? I have a black E34 M5 and I have noticed a white one cruising in the Northboro, Southboro area.
Hey fellow Massachusetts guys! I got mine last week (Carbon Black/Black) from Wagner in Boylston. Definitely up for some sort of a get-together when the weather is looking warmer.

By the way - I find it funny that people are finding out about hidden flashlights etc. - I'm one of those people who reads EVERY DARN page of the owner's manual/video/etc.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ref clutch problems, when i was at spartanberg hammering the factory cars thru a acceleration test I noticed that with DSC on if I tried any kind of speed shift I smoked the clutch big time. When DSC is off
the only time I smelled clutch was when I hit the rev limiter and then speed shifted to get it going again. Not a good thing to do. If I can't beat them when I lift and shift in the green zone they win I still have my car in tact running good. Thank Bmw for the driving experience in Spartenberg in their cars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts