BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 seems to hesitate and stumble when the engine is cold, it feels like the engine power gets cut suddenly but it does it with or without the traction control turned on and whether the sport button is pressed or not. This seems to improve if I let it idle for a couple of minutes before starting to drive. Within the last couple of weeks, these symptoms have started to ocurr randomly when the car is fully warmed up also. Earlier this week the SES light ignited, I read the error code which indicated a lean condition on bank 2. Yesterday on the way home I slowed down for a tollbooth and when I tried to accelerate again the engine wouldn't rev any higher than 3000 rpm, the car felt like the rev limiter had been reduced to 3000 rpm and it was very low on power. I pulled off the highway, shut down the engine and re-started it and everything was back to normal again.

I cleaned the MAFS a couple of months ago which made no discernable difference. I do have an appointment at the dealer on Monday (my car is CPO'd) but was wondering if anyone else had similar symptoms and if so what was the cure? I am sort of thinking MAFS, especially given the lean condition error code.

TIA

·
Registered
48 Posts
i have a 2000 also bmw just replaced the block then the injectors 2 of them went and a ignition coil and maf meter now its fine

·
Registered
39 Posts
dinanm5NY said:
i have a 2000 also bmw just replaced the block then the injectors 2 of them went and a ignition coil and maf meter now its fine

I had exactly the same symptom. Sometimes when I wanted to overtake a car, the engine refused to rev higher then 3000. I learned that the limphome mode was activated for some reason. I then cleaned the MAFS and the engine revs like it should now. Clean the MAFS properly with chemical cleaner and some alcohol and it should give result.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my Oct 99 build car. Car was dangerously jerky from cold and also cut out when revved hard when warmed through, going into limp home mode-not good if overtaking.
As it was under warranty the dealer was happy to investigate the problem and replaced the engine mgt system and the MAFs and the throttle, amongst other parts-car now running like a dream for the last 3,000 miles-albeit it took them 3 weeks to sort it out.

Good luck.

David

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
[Solved] Hesitation and engine not reving above 3000 rpm

I just picked my car up from Motorwerks of Barrington this afternoon. It was there for a number of reasons: stumbling/hesitation upon acceleration which wasn't cured by cleaning the MAFS, an oil leak between the engine and transmission, and an Inspection II. They had it for three days, but they gave me a brand new X3 3.0L Auto as a loaner which I actually liked it quite a lot.

The hesitation issue was partially cured by replacing both MAFS, the car still triggered the SES light after that with some codes that they didn't understand. They re-flashed the DME with the latest software and it solved the problem completely. They suspect that some aftermarket software was installed by the PO which wasn't working properly with the new MAFS. This was all covered by the CPO warranty.<O:p

The rear main seal turned out to be leaking, it was replaced -- also covered by CPO. Hopefully this will help my oil consumption a little.<O:p

Inspection II turned up no issues, although a foglight bulb burned out while the car was in their care. I had them replace it. I also had them bleed the brakes and clutch.

The bill was:
Replace MAFS ----- $0.00
Replace Seal ------- $0.00
Reprogram DME --- $0.00
Brake/Clutch Flush - $96.98
Replace Fog Lamp - $17.85
Inspection II -------- $675.00
Loaner Rental ------ $0.00
Total ---------------- $874.67

All in all, it is like a new car. I had no idea these things were this fast. Now it will spin the rear tires in the first 3 gears, there is absolutely no hesitation at all. I am absolutely amazed, and very happy with the service I received.
<O:p

·
Registered
30 Posts
I experienced your identical symptoms, and had the MAFS replaced under CPO last week.

I suppose that my sensors were probably dirty when I bought the car last year, and replacing them has completely transformed my car. My wife took it the other day and exclaimed "Cripes, Ran, what did they do to that thing? I think it's faster than my M3!"

I know a great deal has been written about the MAFS, and echo the sentiment that replacing them can bring great joy!

-Randel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts