BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 m5 have trouble getting a smooth shift when I get on it from 1st to 2nd. I've only had the car about a month and am wondering if maybe it's a clutch issue or if it is something I'm doing. I don't have this problem in my porsche. Just looking for some help to make the ride more enjoyable. thanks

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
m5tackulous said:
2000 m5 have trouble getting a smooth shift when I get on it from 1st to 2nd. I've only had the car about a month and am wondering if maybe it's a clutch issue or if it is something I'm doing. I don't have this problem in my porsche. Just looking for some help to make the ride more enjoyable. thanks
Lots of things contribute. Stock shifter is lousy, many people for aftermarket. Rogue, UUC and Autosolutions are just 3 that seem to be popular. Software also makes a difference. Most popular is Powerchip (www.powerchipgroup.com). I think board members still get a $100 discount, but you can check the website. And the clutch is a known weak spot, although I don't think it contributes much to the jerkiness you describe. Most people find the clutch starts to slip because it is undersized for a car with the weight and power of an M5. Popular aftermarket replacement from UUC and there are some new kits from Spec to check out, as well as a Sachs replacement using an E46 disc and machining a couple of mm from the flywheel. Hope that helps and welcome aboard!!! :M5launch:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gsfent said:
Lots of things contribute. Stock shifter is lousy, many people for aftermarket. Rogue, UUC and Autosolutions are just 3 that seem to be popular. Software also makes a difference. Most popular is Powerchip (www.powerchipgroup.com). I think board members still get a $100 discount, but you can check the website. And the clutch is a known weak spot, although I don't think it contributes much to the jerkiness you describe. Most people find the clutch starts to slip because it is undersized for a car with the weight and power of an M5. Popular aftermarket replacement from UUC and there are some new kits from Spec to check out, as well as a Sachs replacement using an E46 disc and machining a couple of mm from the flywheel. Hope that helps and welcome aboard!!! :M5launch:
Regards,
Jerry
thanks and thanks look forward to tweeking my beast in the future

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gsfent said:
Regards,
Jerry
should I go short shifter or will that just make things worse

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
m5tackulous said:
should I go short shifter or will that just make things worse
I found the short shifter a very important upgrade. I hated the 1-2 shift before, so I often just started in 2nd gear (and easy to do with this car's torque). After the shifter, the shifts were much more precise and enjoyable. That, and a powerchip upgrade, are the first two things I would do.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
m5tackulous said:
I used to experience that problem when I drove with the Sport mode "off", Now that I drive with the Sport mode "on" the rough shift and hesitation is gone. Hope this info. helps;)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
M5tackulous...just curious...at what RPM's are you shifting from 1st to 2nd?

:cheers:

·
Registered
530 Posts
M5tack...

By smooth shift do you mean that you need to yank the shifter back when cold to get from first to second?

Also, does the problem go away when the engine warms up?

More info could help diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Another suggestion: the clutch engages at a relatively high point on the pedal travel. There's no need to push the pedal to the floor on every shift. Doing so on the 1-2 shift in particular would make it more difficult to achieve smooth clutch engagement.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
EDP... that advice doesn't hole for all clutches in M5's. Believe me...I driven 3 different M5's, all model year 2002, and each clutch felt VERY different. My clutch (dealer installed refurbished under warranty) actually engages fairly low which I like because I find it allows faster shifts, but there is a great deal of variability in differnet M5's.

·
Registered
463 Posts
XrayMD said:
EDP... that advice doesn't hold for all clutches in M5's ....
That's interesting, I wouldn't have thought there would be significant differences. Any ideas as to why this is so? Is the engagement point at all related to the condition of the clutch?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I have to admit, I don't know why that is. Also, it's not just the engagement point that can be different. The amount of force needed to depress the pedal can be different and the whole "feel" of the clutch during shifting can be different. My friend and I have experienced this quite often as we let each other drive each others '02 beasts now and then. I love the way mine feels and he loves the way his feels (Talking about the clutch here...I'm happily married...or at least married!). I guess it's just a matter of what you get used to. Actually our cars feel different in other ways as well. Some of that has to do with differences in our respective mods and some may may to do with the variability of the S62 engine that BMW is willing to allow. I've heard that the 394HP stock can be +/- 10%. That's a fair amount of possible range for HP. I always felt mine was on the weaker side when it was stock.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
m5tackulous said:
Same for my 01. It's really notchy. Who knows why. I've never driven another M5, so I can't campare. Maybe there's nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
When I bought my '00 last year, the first few weeks, I had the same problem. I had driven an E36 M3 for 5 years before and the clutch on the M5 feels different, you cannot just pop it out without letting it lock up.

I was sure there was some sort of problem, but it seems I've adjusted and now I never have the bucking on the 1-2 shift any longer. I hadn't even thought about it until I read your post.

Maybe just give yourself some time to adjust before you assume there is something wrong with the car.:M5thumbs:

Dennis

·
Registered
158 Posts
sjdennis said:
When I bought my '00 last year, the first few weeks, I had the same problem. I had driven an E36 M3 for 5 years before and the clutch on the M5 feels different, you cannot just pop it out without letting it lock up.

I was sure there was some sort of problem, but it seems I've adjusted and now I never have the bucking on the 1-2 shift any longer. I hadn't even thought about it until I read your post.

Maybe just give yourself some time to adjust before you assume there is something wrong with the car.:M5thumbs:

Dennis
Dennis, I've had my '01 since April of 2004 and I still occasionally experience the jackrabbiting problem on the 1-2 shift. It seems to happen in the morning when the engine is cold and I'm accelerating rapidly to merge into highway traffic. Today I tried somebody's suggestion to keep it in sport mode, and it seemed to work, but it's too early to tell for sure.

·
Registered
251 Posts
m5tackulous,

I've owned my 2001 M5 for 3 months now (stock), and have my 1-2 shift smooth about 75% of the time.

Hints:

1. Always have "sport" mode "ON". Make it part of your startup "prior to launch" checklist.

2. Don't shift out of 1st too early. Rev to 3500+ for best results

3. Shift quickly so you are re-engaging the clutch before the revs drop below ~2500 - and be back on the throttle with engagement.

It's a tricky shift. Have fun.

Paul

·
Registered
371 Posts
Here is an interestring thread from last year on the topic.

Dennis

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46730&page=1&pp=35

Norgeiron said:
Dennis, I've had my '01 since April of 2004 and I still occasionally experience the jackrabbiting problem on the 1-2 shift. It seems to happen in the morning when the engine is cold and I'm accelerating rapidly to merge into highway traffic. Today I tried somebody's suggestion to keep it in sport mode, and it seemed to work, but it's too early to tell for sure.

·
10,455 Posts
EdP said:
That's interesting, I wouldn't have thought there would be significant differences. Any ideas as to why this is so? Is the engagement point at all related to the condition of the clutch?
I would imagine with a self adjusting clutch, they should all feel pretty similar, and difference in feel and take up point probably has to do with the Self Adjusting mechanism's function (or lack thereof).
Mike

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have had similar symptons with my 2000 that I purchased 1 1/2 months ago. I think it was partially due to not being used to the "drive by wire" system. But, while having some car and remote memory options reprogrammed by an independent repair shop (Eastside Bavarian) I had them check for updated factory DME software and there was. They couldn't tell me version numbers but they did say that my car had not been updated previously as the DME has a capacity of 13 upgrades and mine still showed 13. Anyway, after an hour's labor charge for the upgrade my car drove much more smoothly and I haven't experienced the jerky hesitation that, for me, typically occured right after shifting into 2nd and fully lifting off the clutch pedal, all during relatively moderate driving.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts