BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my car is getting on MY01, and I have been driving around on after market wheels, my original wheels were being a little neglected.

I booked them in with my local dealer in Germany, to get a full refurbishment on all 4. They quoted me 90 Euro per wheel, which I was very happy with, I then 3 days later get a call, it was BMW telling me that they can't get an exact colour match with the original wheels, but they will go as close as they can and do them for 82 euro per wheel instead.

I said that was fine and to go ahead with it.

So i went to pick them up today, and they are a little whiter than stock but still look great, but what made it even better was when I went to the desk to pay, the receptionist typed me a bill and I just handed her my card because they had a nice 3 series twin top that I was looking at. She called me over to enter my pin , which I did so, she then gave me a receipt and copy of the bill, I returned to my car and drove home.

My girlfriend was looking at the bill and realised I'd only paid 82 euro, I said yeah thats what they said I was to pay, to which she replied, no not 82 per wheel, 82 TOTAL.

I know thats not a huge saving when talking M5's or even normal BM's but I was laughing the rest of the way home.

M5 owner 1
Stealers 0 :applause:

·
Registered
804 Posts
You know if that was the cashier's mistake, she would probably get in trouble and/or would be made to pay the balance.
The right thing to do is go back there or call them and tell them what had happened. At least that way it won't come out of the cashiers pocket and they would probably treat you much better in the future. You never know, but they might tell you that you don't have to pay anymore money.
Remember, what goes around, comes around.:cheers:

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
You know if that was the cashier's mistake, she would probably get in trouble and/or would be made to pay the balance.
The right thing to do is go back there or call them and tell them what had happened. At least that way it won't come out of the cashiers pocket and they would probably treat you much better in the future. You never know, but they might tell you that you don't have to pay anymore money.
Remember, what goes around, comes around.:cheers:
Or send them a nice letter, express your grattitude at the excellent value and tell them you will not only continue to do business there, but will recommend all your friends and colleagues use them. I suspect no one working at the dealership will be forced to return any money if, in fact, it was a mistake!!:1:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
990 Posts
If this is a place you ever plan to do more business with, then call and tell them. They will be more impressed about your honesty and give you the benefit of the doubt in future business. They WILL see the mistake, and probably not call you, but, they WILL remember you as the guy who f'd them out of three wheels. Do the right thing...b/c its the right thing to do. You will feel better about yourself and that is worth more than saving a few beans.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I have to agree with the others, if you plan on ever doing business with them again then it's to your best interest to let them know of their mistake. If not then I would probably just let their mistake slide.

Not to get on your case here but don't you ever check what your are charging just to make sure it's right? Think of the opposite scenario, what if your girlfriend told you on the way home that you just paid 110 euro per wheel or 440 euro total? Again, not trying to get on you here but just making a point.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to agree with the others, if you plan on ever doing business with them again then it's to your best interest to let them know of their mistake. If not then I would probably just let their mistake slide.

Not to get on your case here but don't you ever check what your are charging just to make sure it's right? Think of the opposite scenario, what if your girlfriend told you on the way home that you just paid 110 euro per wheel or 440 euro total? Again, not trying to get on you here but just making a point.
I take your point about not checking what I pay for, but at this dealership I have been a customer for 4 years and trust them. This is why I have taken the advice from you all (was feeling guilty) and phoned them, especially as I didn't want the girl at the reception desk to have to pay for my wheels.

They said they had noticed but weren't going to say anything, I suggested that I pay them what is due, and they replyed with paying only 50%.

I agreed and am glad because not only do I go there but my g/f family have 3 other BMW's and use the same garage, they also give me a 10% discount on all work I have done there in the past 2 years.

@jclyman they are almost as white as the new alloys BM are pushing out and I do like them, might not meet everyone's taste though.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
This most likely will never be caught at the dealer, and I highly doubt the employee will have to pay for it.

As a general rule its not nice to point out how other people make mistakes, they might think you are calling them stupid, and you would not want that.

Keep it and do business with them, they will get their money back that way and it will be good for the karma.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I take your point about not checking what I pay for, but at this dealership I have been a customer for 4 years and trust them. This is why I have taken the advice from you all (was feeling guilty) and phoned them, especially as I didn't want the girl at the reception desk to have to pay for my wheels.

They said they had noticed but weren't going to say anything, I suggested that I pay them what is due, and they replyed with paying only 50%.

I agreed and am glad because not only do I go there but my g/f family have 3 other BMW's and use the same garage, they also give me a 10% discount on all work I have done there in the past 2 years.

@jclyman they are almost as white as the new alloys BM are pushing out and I do like them, might not meet everyone's taste though.
You did the right thing!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
....They said they had noticed but weren't going to say anything, I suggested that I pay them what is due, and they replyed with paying only 50%....

...all this love and harmony between Brits AND Germans, I think I'm gonna cry... ;)

...just wait 'till football starts :grrrr:eek:uich:mad:

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
...on the other hand it might be the season - - I'd paid 1100 euro-ish for a new pair of glasses, they sent me the bill with a correction, I paid 150 too much...

so I ordered another pair of reading/computer glasses at 350, so I could sit around with my laptop and waste more time on this board :biggrinbounce:, then he suggested we claim a problem with the other glasses so insurance would cover, and I said, naaaa, and paid the 200...ouich

Now, I wouldn't tell my wife that, or I'd have to listen to it for days...

oh, and I got a double issue on some blurays from amazon, yep, you guessed it, gonna send them back...

I need help, time to hit a strip bar... :hihi:

·
Registered
167 Posts
This most likely will never be caught at the dealer, and I highly doubt the employee will have to pay for it.

As a general rule its not nice to point out how other people make mistakes, they might think you are calling them stupid, and you would not want that.

Keep it and do business with them, they will get their money back that way and it will be good for the karma.

With overwhelming support for going back to the deal I thought this was a little odd. But hey, I'm pointing out your mistake right?

I had a similar experience a year back when buying a ton of new winter gear for snowboarding at REI. Had to buy boots, jacket, clothes, gloves etc, etc. Lots of items - total was supposed to be about $900. When I'd finished paying the bill came to only $650ish. I kinda looked odd at my friend and we walked out. I looked at the receipt and didn't see that the jacket had been included. My friend thought I was crazy, but I went back in and pointed it out to the same cashier that rung me up.

He was a really nice older man, and kept thanking me over and over for coming back. He'd had a similar mistake a couple weeks back and was told if it happened again he'd lose his job. Sure, it cost me and extra couple hundred - but I planned on spending that anyway, AND I felt great about doing the right thing. You know never when it'll come back.

I think you absolutely did the right thing Farquy - and they'll remember you for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts