BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought a nice stock low mile 2007 E60 M5. A week later I had a reduced power code pop up so, I took it back to the dealer I bought it from and they sent it to BMW in Shreveport. It has been there every since. It started with a simple reprogram which turned into a new ECM and PCM, followed by a transmission issue. They have now spent four weeks trying to put a clutch in it and get it to work... So, of the six weeks I have owned the car I have only possesed it for one week. I call and ask what's going on with my car and the RUDE condescending ***** hat service advisor gives me a line of BS. So, I ask for a reasonable explanation as to why it has taken over four weeks and they tell me they've spent that time trying to diagnose it. Really? Over four weeks to diagnose a transmission issue? Anyone else ever have issues like this with a BMW service department or do I just have the worst luck?

·
Registered
991 Posts
This is why I've taught myself to diagnose and fix my own cars... dealers don't know a whole hell of a lot more than you do. Invest in a decent quick reader like Peake, for ECU and engine related stuff. Then pick up a cable and software suite from BMCables. All in all, you're looking at under or around $200 to be able to do everything a dealer can.

Over the past four BMWs I've owned, pound for pound, a decent reader is the best money spent by far. IMO, these utilities should be put way ahead of "mods".

Hope you get it sorted, good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty good mechanically. I have a 22,000 sq/ft shop with a lift... The dealer that sold it is paying for all the repairs. That's the ONLY reason I let it go to a dealer to begin with.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sorry, but not all of the dealership techs know what they're doing. If you don't have a known tech that you go to and request to work on your car, you could get the newbie that just got hired from jiffy lube, or the experienced tech with 10 years+. I can guarantee you it would only take me a few days to fix your car depending on how long it takes to get parts.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
4 weeks is pushing it to not have a resolution or at the most a very good explanation to what the problem is.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Took 3 weeks for my transmission to get diagnosed and fixed. First it was the SMG pump, then the flywheel, and finally the SMG motor. BMWNA got involved so I assume that added additional time. Also my transmission was taken apart and put back together 3 times before they figured out exactly what was wrong. Between talks with BMWNA the car was off the rack. Each time I stopped by the dealer the car was in a different spot but the same mechanic. $11500 later, BMW only charged me $7850.

2008 BMW M5 Sapphire Black Metallic
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
81 Posts
Took 3 weeks for my transmission to get diagnosed and fixed. First it was the SMG pump, then the flywheel, and finally the SMG motor. BMWNA got involved so I assume that added additional time. Also my transmission was taken apart and put back together 3 times before they figured out exactly what was wrong. Between talks with BMWNA the car was off the rack. Each time I stopped by the dealer the car was in a different spot but the same mechanic. $11500 later, BMW only charged me $7850.

2008 BMW M5 Sapphire Black Metallic
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
you are getting raped

i think u can almost have a new tranny at an indy for that much, no?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
On the SMG, let me guess...they can't get adaptation to run after replacing the clutch? Replace the slave cylinder...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the SMG, let me guess...they can't get adaptation to run after replacing the clutch? Replace the slave cylinder...

Exactly. They are replacing some sensor now... Bet it still won't fix it. Slave cylinder, I'll tell them.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Exactly. They are replacing some sensor now... Bet it still won't fix it. Slave cylinder, I'll tell them.

Their diagnostic software is timing out on the first step ("teach in clutch valve characteristics") with the error "clutch disengagement position". The slave has degraded and won't stroke far enough to fully disengage the clutch to satisfy the test parameters.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Outstanding. Thank you for the info.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
jcolley to the rescue, telling dealers how to do their jobs, as usual.

OP, I would call BMWNA to complain about this.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Problem in your situation is that the BMW shop knows you are not paying for it, you are not their customer. Their customer is the dealership you bought from. This dealership is not interested in fast or great service. They only want the cheapest way out to get your car back on the road. So what's the incentive for Shreveport BMW to give you great service? I'd say your lucky that the selling dealership is willing to fix the car in the first place. Most used car sales say "as is, no warranty" where I'm from. Read carcus' stories after buying from a Porsche dealer and then needing to put it in the BMW shop almost immediately. I think he's put upwards of $8,000 to get his car sorted.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Did you buy it from a BMW dealer? If so, I would contact BMWNA. I would also begin conversations with them about them taking the car back and refunding your money - this may incent them to put pressure on Shreveport.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Any car with warranty that has been at the dealer in service for over 30 days without the issues resolved is an automatic "lemon", Given you want it to be?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yup. The dealer I bought it from is VERY reputable and are known for going above and beyond to make a customer happy. Even if they lose their butt on the deal. Matter of fact the owner of the dealer has been calling me every other day to update me... But, here in Texas you have a lot of buyer protection by law, even on used cars.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm actually kind of puzzled by this.

Always heard BMW trannies were non serviceable, in that dealers don't. They replace em and send them back to be overhauled.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts