BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an 06 e60 m5 have maintenance records showing rod bearings, throttle accs and vanos pump lines and a few solenoids, coils and plugs were done all within the last 5k miles. Car was great Friday and Saturday night took her for her first wash and ran low on gas so I filled her up at a station less than a min from my house. Drove home parked her no issues. Next morning started her up and all the sudden she started idling rough smelling like gas and misfiring.
Engine malfunction loss of power warning came on along with high emissions warning. I got a cheap reader and read the codes
P0301 misfire cylinder 1
P0302 cylinder 2
P0305 cylinder 5
P0300 random misfires on multiple cylinders
P0012 cam shaft a over retarded bank 1
P0015 can shaft b over retard bank 1
Did some research and since everything was on bank one I figured it could have been the ionic unit so I swapped them between banks cleared codes and the problem didn’t follow. Then I tried switching cps across banks and cleared the codes but problem didn’t follow over to the other bank. Then I tried switching coils and plugs from the bad cylinders over to the good cylinders in bank 2 and reset codes and the problem didn’t follow to the other bank. I’m kinda lost and stumped on what it could be. Any help please!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Leaky injectors can happen when the fuel filter is in need of replacing, and yes multiple injectors can go bad at once. I had that happen to me some months ago both cylinder 7 and 8 started leaking at once. As for the codes it is always best to erase the codes turn the car on and see which ones come back. That way its easier to pin point the probable cause but for that you need Carly, INPA or ISTA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ideally it would be best if you can use both ISTA and INPA but ISTA is a bit more user friendly.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Take it back? Most states have lemon law coverage....else, welcome aboard and enjoy the ride.

Either way, I wish you good luck!

·
Registered
840 Posts

Isn't that usually vanos pressure line related? The car is saying it can't adjust valve timing. Leaky injector wouldn't be causing misfires on multiple cylinders.

·
Registered
124 Posts

Isn't that usually vanos pressure line related? The car is saying it can't adjust valve timing. Leaky injector wouldn't be causing misfires on multiple cylinders.
You can’t jump into conclusions that soon, the OP used a universal scanner to get those codes plus he mentioned that the vanos pressure lines and some other components were replaced recently so the vanos is less likely the issue, thats not my conclusion but I’d rather have the OP clear the codes and use the car again and re-read the codes with BMW software to see which ones persist.

The OP also mentioned that he smells gas and by principle that is usually the case when combustion is not happening due to lack of ignition , or the cylinder is getting flooded with fuel. He swapped the ionic modules and swapped the coil packs yet the misfire stayed in bank 1 so the next step would be to look into the injectors but not before clearing and re-reading the codes.

Why wouldn’t leaky injectors cause multiple misfires? If the car has multiple injectors failing wouldn’t that cause misfires on the respective cylinders?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hmmm. I’d start by performing the solenoid bleeding procedure, if problem persists try switching the intake solenoid with the exhaust.

If the car is not idling rough and there is no gas smell anymore then the vanos might be throwing off the whole bank but then again, the misfires could be an isolated issue.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts