BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

The Beast is an 03 CB with 14k, is a daily driver and not pushed hard very often.
The problem is If I accelerate hard from say 2500 in 2nd and shift to 3rd @4500 the car whines and the tac. shoots up thru 5-6k with no power to show. Or if I'm crusin in 4th and accelerate hard at about 4k the car hesitates and the tac. shoots thru 6k and whines with no power. I find I have to slow down and slowly speed up. This is an intermitten problem. I'm thinking it's the tranny or clutch but have no clue. I'm one of those that drive but can't fix. I'm asking cause I don't want the bmw tech to tell me it's a whosawatsit. and not covered by the warranty. I'm near Miami and use Lauderdale BMW for service.But I'm lookin for a good "wrench" for the beast.

Thanx in advance...
Des

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Sorry, but what you describe are the classic symptoms of a worn out clutch. You can try to get the dealer to fix it under warranty but if they don't and/or you don't care to fight it, get someone, either the dealer or an independent, to install a UUC clutch kit. There are many threads on this topic if you do a search. Unfortunately, the clutch design is so weak that it's easily worn out by even moderate "riding" of the clutch, which is why I recommend the UUC clutch upgrade. Be advised there MIGHT be some additional mechanical noise as a result of the UUC's different design, but the additional robustness should be well worth it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Since you are an '03 and you are still in warranty, you should be able to get a clutch replacement from the dealer. I'd try that approach first. The BMW dealer is likely to view your mileage and warranty status favorably and give you the first clutch free. So this one is worth a try at the dealer rather than an independent.

The UUC version is the one you want when you know you are absolutely paying for it out of your own pocket. It costs more, but is worth it. I am surprised that my '01 with 40K miles doesn't slip yet. But when it does, I'll be going for the UUC.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Des:

Yes it is certainly the clutch. Weak point of the drive train. You report textbook symptoms.

'03 w/ 14K you should be able to have it replaced; I'd fight them if they give you a hard time. Many members here have had thier clutch replaced under warranty.

Although pricey, the UUC setup is the last clutch you will ever buy for the beast.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you get a favorable response from the dealer (warranty coverage)...

Try to negotiate the cost of the stock replacement clutch as a credit and pay the dif out of pocket for the UUC clutch (parts) and have dealer install. Then you don't have to worry with clutch issues and it will be good for resale, if that is in your future.

good luck

al

·
Registered
784 Posts
I feel certain that all the information shared is "sadly" correct.

The OEM clutch is truly a weak item and if spirited driving is your style then the likelyhood is high that you will go through another one. The idea of considering a UUC assembly should remain high on your list. I have installed many in a variety of M5's and Z8's...both N/A and Supercharged and everybody leaves with a smile. You can see some pictures of the process on our web site www.Discovery-Automotive.com

If I can answer any questions or be of further assistance please let me know.

In the meantime, it is simply one of those frustrating little items, but not a big deal.

Enjoy your M5, they are truly wonderful.

Shadowman

B

·
0 Posts
Des said:
Hi guys

The Beast is an 03 CB with 14k, is a daily driver and not pushed hard very often.
The problem is If I accelerate hard from say 2500 in 2nd and shift to 3rd @4500 the car whines and the tac. shoots up thru 5-6k with no power to show. Or if I'm crusin in 4th and accelerate hard at about 4k the car hesitates and the tac. shoots thru 6k and whines with no power. I find I have to slow down and slowly speed up. This is an intermitten problem. I'm thinking it's the tranny or clutch but have no clue. I'm one of those that drive but can't fix. I'm asking cause I don't want the bmw tech to tell me it's a whosawatsit. and not covered by the warranty. I'm near Miami and use Lauderdale BMW for service.But I'm lookin for a good "wrench" for the beast.

Thanx in advance...
Des
Unfortunately, it is clearly the clutch. I can recommend 4 options:

1) Try to get a free replacement from the dealer.
2) Purchase a new OEM clutch from your dealer.
3) Purchase a SPEC clutch from www.beastpower.com.
4) Purchase a UUC clutch from www.beastpower.com.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Gosh.. I've got over 50,000 miles in my 00 and I'm just holding my breath on this part. Luckily it shows no signs of slipping, but that's because I have babied the thing from the time I went to the M5 Driving Experience in Spartanburg.

During my first acceleration run (the first thing they had us do) I was pretty happy with my run but the instructor came on the walkie talkie screaming "get off the clutch!! get off the clutch!!" and I didn't even think I was putting any pressure on the pedal! After that, I have never given the accelerator any input until I have side-stepped the clutch. Took me a little while to get it smooth but I think I still have a strong clutch and the car is turning 5 years old in April!

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Des said:
Hi guys

Thanx in advance...
Des
Clutch should be covered either as a warranty item or a maintenance item. Most dealers seem to do one clutch without too much provocation. Given the year of your car and the low miles, it should be covered. Consider having the rear main seal replaced at the same time, they tend to leak and guess where the oil goes?????
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanx guys
I'll be going to the dealer next week.
does anyone have experience with lauderdale BMW service???

Thanx again
Des

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Des said:
thanx guys
I'll be going to the dealer next week.
does anyone have experience with lauderdale BMW service???

Thanx again
Des
No, but you might PM Jim Dolan, I believe he is in Broward county.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have an appointment there on Friday for Oil, Radio Stereo->Mono (they ordered the replacement when I showed them the Service Measure, no problems) and Brake Fluid Flush

The service manager recommended Philip Aarons as an SA with experience.

I'll let you know how mine goes.

Ryan

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi All
Took th beast in and went for a test ride with a SA. He said well thats not supposeed to happen, as we accelerated to pass in 5th and the clutch slipped.
So with the low mileage and no apparent abuse. the beast is getting a new clutch . I tried to have them put in a uuc. But the sa. says they have to replace warranty repairs with BMW parts.Either way its covered at least for the first one. Now i'll have to be nice to the Beast till the clutch breaks in.

Des

1 - 13 of 13 Posts