BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok... im sure you guys probably know by now that my clutch is about to take a **** on me and i just ordered a rogue engineering V12 conversion with a JB lightweight flywheel... but in the mean time, i feel like the clutch isn't engaging all the way... feels like the gears are meshing while the clutch is still spinning... the gears aren't grinding but i feel like i am doin damage to her... im thinkin i should just park the beast until i can get a new clutch on her, because i don't wana have to rebuild a tranny after 35k miles and three weeks of ownership... it feels kinda tough to get it in gear.. the toughness started first with 1st->2nd shift when the clutch started to slip and now it has gotten worse and is now happening from neutral->1st->2nd->3rd... opinions or comments please...:sad1:

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
You're not me, but given what you say, I wouldn't risk it.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i guess nobody around the board likes me or my threads... i get 100 views with not more then 1 comment or opinion posted on all my threads.... did i say or do something to piss off m5board.com and it's members... hmmm...??? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
i guess nobody around the board likes me or my threads... i get 100 views with not more then 1 comment or opinion posted on all my threads.... did i say or do something to piss off m5board.com and it's members... hmmm...??? :dunno:
No!
I'd park the car until i could get it fixed.
But a little advice. Be more specific. Don't just write: Help. Then we don't know what you mean. Clutchproblem, help needed urgently. Then only those of us who have a little understanding of clutches would chime in. Some would flame you and say: Use the search function. Which you probably allready have done.
All thr best for the future.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so when i got in my car this morning, without it started and while idling... i ran thru the gears and it feels like maybe the shifter is getting hung up... like the shifter is catching or sliding against the shift gates... maybe the bushings are worn out on the shifter linkage?!... anybody have symptons like this...

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
i would worry about the hard shift it due to the clutch. when mine started to go It was nearley impossible to get her into second gear on a cold morning had the clutch replaced and changed the oil in transmission and all was fine with nice crisp shifts. but due to the fact that it is getting so tuff to shift and you state you feel like its crunching or grinding i would park her until shes fixed

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Others here have reported similar problems. Sorry, but I would suggest a search to find the threads ... a few that I recall in my reading. Be specific, and try different search terms ... not much else I can say. My car has NOT had the problem you are asking about.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
If this new symptom happened after the new clutch, I would park the car and have it towed to your service shop. The tranny is a little delicate to be forcing it, so an ounce of prevention is worth $6k of cure!!
Regards,
Jerry

Reactions: jclyman

·
Registered
155 Posts
Your symptoms sound a little like a failing clutch slave/master cylinder. Have you noticed any sponginess in the clutch pedal, as well as long clutch pedal travel and grinding of gears? Have you noticed any hydraulic fluid under the car? Definitely try not to drive the car until you can get it looked at properly.

Myself and some other members have had problems with shifting into 2nd gear, especially when cold. For me, replacing the tranny fluid seemed to help for a little while, but it eventually became hard to shift again when cold. Recently, my differential input flange failed and had to be replaced. For some reason, this seems to have fixed my shift problem. The part is really cheap, so if you have this problem, it might be worth it to replace the flange. Perhaps as the flange gets old, it allows play in the entire driveline that makes it difficult to shift into 2nd gear? Also, before the flange was replaced, I noticed a rattling sound from underneath the car when going over speed bumps at a very slow speed, out of gear, and clutch pedal pressed in. I no longer hear this sound.

My indy told me that the input flange is also a problem with the M3 (don't know if this is true or not), but I seem to recall a post re: driveline/differential clunk in the M3 when I did a search for my clunking sound. That post dismissed the sound saying it's "normal" and that it's a result of driveline slack. Perhaps the flange does this in the M3 and M5 as it gets old and loosens up?

·
Registered
683 Posts
FYI, I had replaced the guibo, driveshaft, center bearing, clutch, tranny mounts and exhaust mounts prior to this and the 2nd gear shift difficulty when cold and clunk were still there. Only after the flange was replaced did it go away.
Hi,

Could you kindly indicate what the flange part is at realoem.com. I see many potential parts that look like it at the driveline section but nothing is really called a flange.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
1. If you are 'forcing' the gearshift into place, then you are most likely exacerbating the problem.

2. Even if it isn't 'forcing' but more like 'mildly rough or aybe just a bit stiff' you may be damaging already worn shift forks.

3. Search on shift forks. Lscman has posted on issues with the shifting mechanism on these trannies.

4. Your clutch is probably unrelated to shifter feel- although I suppose they are related by whomever trashed the clutch is likely the same person that trashed the tranny!

GL

A

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
thanks for the response ard... the thing is when i first test drove the car, shifting was smooth as butter... all i had to do was slightly flick my wrist and it would go into gear... but now that the clutch is slipping it really isn't "forcing" but it feels like its hanging up a bit... and i met up wit m5 deamon the other night and he said the little hang up was "normal", and said with the new clutch it should get better... also when the tranny and clutch warm up and the clutch isn't slipping as much the shifting seems to smooth out alot... but i will do a search on shift forks and see what comes up...

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
and another thing.... don't take responses, or lack of, personally. As you may well appreciate, most of us are busy people, we love our Ms, but sometimes other things take precedence.
Be as direct and informative as you can in your posting to enable a brief and useful response.

·
Registered
241 Posts
4. Your clutch is probably unrelated to shifter feel- although I suppose they are related by whomever trashed the clutch is likely the same person that trashed the tranny!

GL

A
On the contrary, if the clutch isn't completely disengaging the flywheel it will feel like the tranny doesn't want to go into gear when shifting. Rev matching will help. You can shift without the clutch btw....

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok another observation... i took the car out for a drive yesterday after a nice 4 hour claybar wash and wax... and i noticed the clutch pedal was much much harder and stiffer, and there was no hang up when switch gears... the clutch felt as crisp and stiff as it did when i first bought the car... am i not getting enough hydraulic pressure??.... my rogue engineering V12 conversion should be hear the middle of next week, so hopefully all works out....

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
and if it is shift forks, is this an expensive problem???
I am NOT an expert on M5 transmissions, but I would say, YES. You (normally, as I understand it), can't buy the parts, but have to look in scrap yards for them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
ok another observation... i took the car out for a drive yesterday after a nice 4 hour claybar wash and wax... and i noticed the clutch pedal was much much harder and stiffer, and there was no hang up when switch gears... the clutch felt as crisp and stiff as it did when i first bought the car... am i not getting enough hydraulic pressure??.... my rogue engineering V12 conversion should be hear the middle of next week, so hopefully all works out....

Your inconsistent clutch feel sounds like you need to replace the slave and master cylinders. You'll get a new slave with your kit, throw a new master in while you're at it. While you're at it you should replace the clutch line, my MY01's flex line is ready to go and the part is back ordered to germany right now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts