BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up fellas... I have been realizing that I might need some new rear tires...

What are the best ones out in the market and what do you guys prefer?

My front tires are good, but my rear tires I feel like I don't even have any traction even in V8 mode...

Thanks In advance

·
Registered
65 Posts
What's up fellas... I have been realizing that I might need some new rear tires...

What are the best ones out in the market and what do you guys prefer?

My front tires are good, but my rear tires I feel like I don't even have any traction even in V8 mode...

Thanks In advance
Do a search on tirerack.com and read the reviews!

·
Registered
4 Posts
tires

I have A 2010 M5 and went thru the P2 quick and did a lot of reserch and for as much as i drive i bought the Contantel DW they are great work as well as the P2 and way longer life i have 10,000 hard miles and they are worn by only about 30% and they are quiter then the P2

just my opinion hope it helps... got them from tirerack.com best price

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I just went through a big tire search for my daily driver, an 04 G35 Coupe 6 Speed. That had PS2's as OEM equipment, which is the same tire that the 08-10 M5's use (albeit in different sizes, obviously).

I decided the Falkens I had been running on my G35 were too loud and rode too harsh now that my commute has changed to primarily freeway driving (before it was mostly city so the sacrifice in ride comfort was not as noticed), so I began my search for tires in the PS2's class/category.

I found that the Continental ExtremeContact DW were rated higher than the PS2 by both user review and by actual reviews. The DW were better than the PS2 in EVERY way except initial turn in, due to the softer sidewall on the DW that gives it the nicer ride. The DW also costs about 40% less than the PS2s do, so I got a set of DW for my G35 and I'm more than happy. The tires are great.

We need new tires for the M5 and my dad asked me to look into it and I told him about the DW and so we'll be getting a set mounted on our M5 in a few weeks.

Food for though, here is the cost for a set of 4 tires for the M5 in OEM sizing off tire rack (these are raw prices, no shipping or tax):

OEM PS2 = $1720
OEM Continental SportContact 2 = $1448
Continental ExtremeContact DW = $1060

Seems like a no brainer to me. A better tire for 60% of the price.

PS. There is also a ExtremeContact DWS - this is different from the DW. The DW is a summer tire while the DWS is the all season version. Obviously you want the summer tire.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
You should not mix tires. If you are only changing the rears, they should be the same as the fronts :nono:
While it's preferred to have the same tires on all 4 corners, it's not a disaster if you have different fronts/rears. Different tires on the same axle would be a very bad idea though.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have A 2010 M5 and went thru the P2 quick and did a lot of reserch and for as much as i drive i bought the Contantel DW they are great work as well as the P2 and way longer life i have 10,000 hard miles and they are worn by only about 30% and they are quiter then the P2

just my opinion hope it helps... got them from tirerack.com best price
My son got a set of these (also from Tirerack). I really like them for dd use and general 'enthusiastic' hooning around. Can't speak for track use, though.

As others have advised, the tirerack comments are worth some quality time.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
It all simply depends on your driving style. If you want a good street tire for daily driving that is very grippy but not as responsive then get Hankook V12's, they are the best tire for the performance and money. If you are like me, and you like to carve the mountain roads almost every weekend and hit up the track a few times a year, but also use your M5 as a daily driver to go to work with, then get the Michelin PS2's.

I have used PS2's for about a year and a half then I switched to Hankooks back in December and I absolutely hated them for the kind of driving that I do. I got a puncture in one of my Hankooks over the weekend and I decided to change all of the tires back to PS2's because I just couldn't take it anymore.

The Hankooks make for fantastic daily driving because they are so soft, the ride quality is much better with these tires, and they are super grippy in the turns, but the have little to no road feel and I can tell that there is a lot more body roll in the car with the Hankooks.

Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts