BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, due to a past oil leak I lost a big chunk of plastic directly under the passenger side fog light, the plastic shielding that protects the underside of the engine. I looked on realoem.com and found 3 possible matches for the part I should get, but neither picture is a perfect match to what it looks like on the car so I am doubting placing an order without some second opinions. Here are the possibilities I have so far: 51712498990, 51712694832, 51718158060. Any experience with this would be greatly appreciated!

Also, my heat shield behind the engine is cracking really bad, possible due to poor heat resistant material? Does anybody know...
1) the part number for that
2) is there a way to prevent future problems such as wrapping it with a heatwrap for example
3)any other creative solutions?

:cheers:

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Hi, due to a past oil leak I lost a big chunk of plastic directly under the passenger side fog light, the plastic shielding that protects the underside of the engine. I looked on realoem.com and found 3 possible matches for the part I should get, but neither picture is a perfect match to what it looks like on the car so I am doubting placing an order without some second opinions. Here are the possibilities I have so far: 51712498990, 51712694832, 51718158060. Any experience with this would be greatly appreciated!
Hi Ted!

a link would be helpful to above parts, as well as a picture of the piece you broke :)

For what it is worth, here are what those 3 parts are:
51712498990 - this is the front-most piece that goes directly under your foglight and holds the temperature sensor in place.
51712694832 - this is the same piece as above, but has a cutout in the wheel-well portion to allow your airducts (aftermarket mod in NA) from the lower grill to attach and cool your brakes
51718158060 - this is the next piece rearward in your trim - it goes behind the front wheel.

Also, my heat shield behind the engine is cracking really bad, possible due to poor heat resistant material? Does anybody know...
which piece you are talking about? Nope :) No, really - what heat shield behind the engine are you talking about? behind my engine is the firewall :)

1) the part number for that
2) is there a way to prevent future problems such as wrapping it with a heatwrap for example
3)any other creative solutions?

:cheers:
no real help here, just having fun with quotes :)

d-

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doug, you actually answered my first question! It's the first part # u quoted, the 8990, because there is a little triangle-looking thing hanging down from that hole (taped to stay inside now), that must be the temp sensor! And the heatshield I'm talking about is the firewall right above where the cps sensors are at the top of it, if I barely touch mu fingor to it it disintegrates in my hand! Very disturbing! I will take pics once I get back from my road trip on Sunday, I'm in CT-NY now...

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Indeed - that is the temp sensor. I think the temp sensor might fits into it's own piece as well, so make sure you order the holder if you need it...

d-

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Ted did you ever find that part number for the plastic piece above the heat shield?? Mine is cracked too and so far no luck on RealOEM

Update: I think it is #3 in this picture. part number 51712694217
On RealOEM it has it listed twice. One for LINKS and one for RECHTS?? Which one do I want?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ted did you ever find that part number for the plastic piece above the heat shield?? Mine is cracked too and so far no luck on RealOEM

Update: I think it is #3 in this picture. part number 51712694217
On RealOEM it has it listed twice. One for LINKS and one for RECHTS?? Which one do I want?
I wonder if Links is German for Left and Rechts means Right? haha :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts