BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I posted this in the Peake sticky as well but as my beast is my daily driver and I need to get the parts she needs ordered for her I'm going to post here as well to get some more feedback...please help me out if you can :1zhelp:

Ok, I finally got a Peake FCX 3. I was going to get just an Innova 3100 like Bread said (I like it too!) but I realized one important advantage to the Peake- I'm keeping my M5 for the REST OF MY LIFE and this board is my primary reference for everything M5 and most of the members here have a Peake and when I used the Innova scanner and posted the codes here 1) I couldn't get any conclusive answers to my questions as to what the codes meant 2) I wasn't even able to pinpoint myself what the codes meant after days of research. But I see it all the time, somebody posts a Peake code and boom! 100% response and definitive answers :woowoo:

So I took my new Peake out, actually read all the instructions, checked my SES light, and got the numbers 16 and 71. Book says first number is not a code but the table you use, so I go to table 16, which in turn says "see table 11", ok, I go to table 11, code 71-not present! It simply is not there, I am so confused! I followed the directions, now what? So I go here to get some answers, and read "ignore all tables except table 18, that is the only one that applies to the e39"!!! What?!? My car and my book told me that I need table 16, so what's going on? Am I retarded? :eek7:

And if I do go by table 18, can somebody please ellaborate on codes 16 and 71 if they do really both count as codes please and what I need to replace...thank you very much! :byee55amg<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
Registered
936 Posts
I was going to say it should be table 18 - but you found that out yourself!

16 and 71 are both to do with VANOS - valve and position control.

What symptoms are you experiencing - or your car rather!!

Richie.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Interesting. I'm wondering if the Peake reader LEDs are functioning properly and you are seeing '16' when you should be seeing '18'. I haven't used mine in a few months... is there a start up sequence when you first plug in the reader that lets you momentarily see all the LEDs glowing?

Code 71 might suggest a cps issue. First thing is clear the code(s) and see what comes back. Cps issues do not necessarily manifest in any notable difference in the car's performance initially, but degradation will occur over time (if this is indeed the issue).

Dave

·
Registered
936 Posts
The first thing that is displayed if 'Fc'

If you press 'GO' the next display will be either '--' which means that there are no faults and '18' (for the E39 M5) if there are codes.

Each press of 'GO' will cycle through the codes until eventually going to '--'

HTH

Richie.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was going to say it should be table 18 - but you found that out yourself!

16 and 71 are both to do with VANOS - valve and position control.

What symptoms are you experiencing - or your car rather!!

Richie.

Performance feels 100%, I have 2 new exhaust cps' but everything else is stock. The only symptoms is a bad oil leak on both sides of the car and a SES light that keeps coming back even after being cleared a few times. Do you think the "16" number is just a stupid table number or is it actually a code?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. I'm wondering if the Peake reader LEDs are functioning properly and you are seeing '16' when you should be seeing '18'. I haven't used mine in a few months... is there a start up sequence when you first plug in the reader that lets you momentarily see all the LEDs glowing?

Code 71 might suggest a cps issue. First thing is clear the code(s) and see what comes back. Cps issues do not necessarily manifest in any notable difference in the car's performance initially, but degradation will occur over time (if this is indeed the issue).

Dave
Yes, based upon your suggestion I checked this and all the LEDs work, it shows Fc, than 16, than 71, than --, it seems like it's working fine, but it's killing me to know why it keeps showing that 16? Is my M5 really a 525 converted to a M5 :7: Nothing would surprise me at this point haha. I emailed a guy I know who sells the Peake readers and we'll see what he says...

·
Registered
936 Posts
It is strange that 16 pops up alright - have you tried e-mailing Peake themselves?

I don't know what car table 16 is for either - strange ??????

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is strange that 16 pops up alright - have you tried e-mailing Peake themselves?

I don't know what car table 16 is for either - strange ??????
I swear I've had the worst luck the last 5 weeks! My car went from running flawlessly to pulling up codes that don't exist and the enexplained oil leak, plus a thousand other things I have going on. It's a conspiracy I tell ya :thumbsup:. I will try the Peake site and see what I can dig up, thanks.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Very frustrating!

Have you tried clearing the codes and disconnecting the battery for half an hour or so?

Where is your oil leak coming from?

Richie.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very frustrating!

Have you tried clearing the codes and disconnecting the battery for half an hour or so?

Where is your oil leak coming from?

Richie.

I have cleared the codes 3 times now but every time the same ones keep coming back. Have not disconnected the battery.

The oil leaks show themselves as little puddles on the ground under both air intakes, and the intake tubing is keeps accumulating oil moisture on the walls though I wipe it off, and it is in the air filter box, and there are puddles right behind my fog lights of fresh oil...I saw them while while working on my sink drain mod the last 2 days.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Have you changed the oil breather pipes and the cyclone valves (or whatever they are called)?

Sounds like there is excessive pressure somewhere in the breather system and the oil vapour has to go somewhere.

Also, if there is oil in your intake tubing then there is a big chance that the MAFs are contaminated too which certainly wouldn't help things.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thread Update!

I don't know what cyclone valves are but I did just change the crankshaft vent hoses a month ago, do you think they have anything to do with this? Could it be that when I changed the exhaust cps' I didn't tighten the sensors on tight enough ( I think I did but now I'm not sure) and that's what's causing the leaks?

Thread Update: Even though I read about it a dozen times, I managed to somehow mix up the 6 and the B and so in fact today I realized that my Peake is telling me go to table 1B (not 16) and code 71. Here is what's messed up about this- 1) it should be table 18 and 18 only, right? and 2) there is no code 71 in table 1B. ??????grrrrrrr:M5launch:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hi Ted,

on table 18 code 71 is;

71 "Intake camshaft VANOS position control, Cyl #5-8"

The Cyclone things and the breather hoses I mentioned are at the top of the engine, going into the plenum area.

Look at items 1, 2, 14 and 15 - those are what I am talking about;

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DE93&mospid=47592&btnr=11_2653&hg=11&fg=15

There should be some threads about it - the breather hoses get soft and even sticky.

Richie.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have cleared the codes 3 times now but every time the same ones keep coming back. Have not disconnected the battery.

The oil leaks show themselves as little puddles on the ground under both air intakes, and the intake tubing is keeps accumulating oil moisture on the walls though I wipe it off, and it is in the air filter box, and there are puddles right behind my fog lights of fresh oil...I saw them while while working on my sink drain mod the last 2 days.
You might have a bad VANOS o-ring. I'd open the plenum cover just to see how much oil you have there.

·
Registered
939 Posts
One other thought regarding your Peake reader.

Are you close enough to someone else who you could visit or maybe they visit you to try another reader? If the one you have is not working right, you could try swapping the use on each other cars to see if the same data shows up.

That is a bit strange that it is not reading the tables correctly.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So no luck finding someone with a Peake close-by, haven't had time to contact Peake about why I'm showing table 1B instead of 18, I'm afraid to disconnect the battery because I don't know the car's radio code and don't want to lose all my settings.

I just changed my intake CPS, finally found an awesome mech nearby who did the job in 20 minutes! Unfourtunately the SES light came back 36 hours later but the codes are a little different: 1B-71,90? (1B=18). Smoke and roughness were gone that first 36 hours, but returned 24 hours after the SES light, I thought that was strange. I also believe I some bad vanos o-rings that is causing my bad oil leak, losing about a quart/2 days...but I can't understand if say for example the Bank 2 vanos o-ring is bad why would the passenger air filter which is on the opposite side be soaked with oil as well as the driver's side?

Wifey is begging me everyday to trade the beast in for a Japanese car and mod the heck out of it but I'm not giving in...

·
Registered
936 Posts
First of all I glad to hear you won't give up!! :applause:

I would guess that it is actually showing table 18, perhaps you could take a picture and post?

As you mentioned, table 18 is the only table for the E39 M5.

71 is "Intake camshaft VANOS position control, Cyl #5-8"

90 is "Fuel control, Cyl #1-4"

The fuel control can happen for lots of reasons, old fuel filter, bad spark plugs, low fuel etc....

I really don't know how to help you, perhaps you should carry out a full service including the spark plugs and fuel filter.

Try replacing items 1 and 2 on this diagram http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DE92&mospid=47550&btnr=11_2653&hg=11&fg=15

You could also replace the breather hoses as indicated in this post;
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=110745&highlight=oil+hoses

I hope that helps you - at least a little.

Keep us posted,

Richie.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks Richie, some good news, I don't know what it was but at one point SES light disappeared and then returned when it returned code 71 remained but 90 was gone! First good news in a long time yay! I just realized that the breather hoses (which I just replaced very recently), were somewhat tight but not as tight as they could be, so I tightened them as much as possible to see if that does anything, if not I will try cleaning the oil seperators (items 1 & 2 you mentioned) with a good degreaser and if I still have the leak after that then I'm doing the Bank 2 Vanos o-rings. Thanks for all your help with this and if you have any more ideas let me know. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts