BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 M5. I'm sure this was just a coincidence, but I had a cassette adapter plugged into an Ipod this morning, and as I tried to play it, the whole radio, CD, tape, GPS, onboard computer died. It's off, has no lights, and can't turn on. When I start the car the OBC doesn't even register. I checked the fuses. Anyone have any ideas? :crying:

·
10,445 Posts
Besides the fuses in the glove compartment area, did you check the single fuse that is in the radio unit (in the trunk) itself? I can't remeber for certain, but i am almost sure there is another fuse that is plugged right into the radio unit.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the reply.

I tried to check that fuse, but I can't see if it's intact w/o taking it out. And it doesn't seem like a fuse that can be pulled out w/o yanking the whole unit out. Anyone have tricks for doing that?

Also, one thing that I'm questioning is whether that fuse is the issue. What I'm seeing is the whole unit is not functioning. This includes the main startup screen for the display where you can select GPS, DSP, OBC, etc. Radio won't turn on, no GPS, nothing. All I'm left with is singing the tunes myself, and pulling out the maps!!!! :grrrr:

·
Registered
50 Posts
In mine there's two fuses in the boot that are labelled for the Sat Nav/Radio etc. The fuses are in the right hand side of the boot behind the cover, and there's a label telling you which numbers are for the Sat Nav/Radio. You should be able to pull the fuses independently without having to remove the whole unit! It's best to test fuses with a multimeter or continuity tester because you can't always see visually if they're OK. There is also one fuse in the glove box for the screen etc at the front - you should check that too.

Also - be careful to never pull these fuses (or disconnect the battery) when the red light on the Sat Nav unit on the left of the boot is still on - you can do damage if you do that. If the light is on it should go out after about 20 secs of waiting then you're safe. (actually I believe this only applies to the Mk 3 sat nav, but I've heard it's a good precaution for all of them)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So...I fixed it. It was definitely a fuse problem, but I'm not sure whether reseating the fuses fixed it, or swapping a fuse fixed it, since I did both. In my previous post I said the fuse is not removable w/o removing the unit. That was because I was looking at the left side of the trunk. But thanks to Stair's post, I then looked at the right side and realized there are a bunch of other fuses there as well.

Long story short, swapped out a fuse that didn't look burnt, and everything works now. :biggrin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts