BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer has advised me that i need new front pads and discs, though i need to clarify why as the pads are only 10K miles old, and the discs were half worn 10K ago too, but anyway, if i do, they have quoted 450 all incl for replacing the units...

would others advise non BMW discs and pads.. i would like drilled discs..
should i upgrade calipers too...
how much will it all cost me...

i do not track it, and i do not want to spend too much as i am thinking of selling within 1 year. thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
You don't want drilled rotors unless you want to have longer braking distances and shorter pad life. Also most of the aftermarket drilled rotors are just that, drilled after the casting. It is best for the rotor to be cast with "dimples" and then drilled.

Jordan

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jordantii said:
You don't want drilled rotors unless you want to have longer braking distances and shorter pad life. Also most of the aftermarket drilled rotors are just that, drilled after the casting. It is best for the rotor to be cast with "dimples" and then drilled.

Jordan
thanks, they do look good though... i know, vanity is a sad thing!!:1:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Drilled disks look cool even if they really don't make any difference in street driving, and slotted ones work better. I've been looking for a set but can't find any for the M5. M3s can get factory floating rotors with the holes cast in (which is the best way to have "drilled" rotors), but Euro M5 rotors are solid, not (cast) drilled.

·
Registered
837 Posts
oohh the vanity, I am the same way I love the way cross drilled rotors look, Josh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts