BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So ... I think i've found the M5 i've been looking for ... but what are the real costs of owning this kinda fun ...?
£25 grands worth of 2001 X plate uk rhd in Avus blue .. a stock car i'm led to believe..
Some of these questions are down to driving style i know but i'm looking for some all-round guide lines ..

1. How long does clutch last ..?
(The one I tested seemed to have a real heavy pedal compared to an 04 M3 .. is this normal..?)
2. how many miles to destroy a set of rear boots.?
3. Do they have a locking rear end ..?
4. What if anything fails @ 50 k miles and what do i need to be wary of ?
5. Are the brakes any good ..? and how much is a set of discs and pads ..?
6. I'm not looking for economy but what mpg can i expect ..?
7. What are the must have factory options...?
8. What is the kerb weight ..?
9. Whats the best insurance deal ... owners club ..?
10.are any of the electronic gizmos prone to failure ..?
11. What is the factory warranty for this model ..?

I need to know when they were face lifted and what are the key differences ..?

Many thanks ..Jammy dodger (wannabe M5 owner ...:1: !)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Welcome :)

All this stuff has been covered here many, many times.

If you do a bit of sniffing around with the search feature, you'll get answers to them all.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
1. Somewhere between 35K and 100K miles, depending on how it's treated and a certain amount of luck.
2. Some claim 8K miles, mine go 20K with a couple trackdays thrown in but I don't do burnouts.
3. Yes
4. Cam position sensors, MAFs, HVAC final-stage resistors, instrument cluster text displays, rear swaybar brackets, I'm sure you'll find more info in the archives.
5. Adequate but not really good, prices probably better gotten from UK source.
6. 16-20mpg average (US gallon)
7. Nothing critical, park distance control is nice but can be added for $400.
8. 4000lb plus or minus.
9. Don't have info that'd be useful in the UK.
10. Several - see notes above. Also I've had two of the Alpine CD changers croak after 3-4 years (the M5's and the wife's 540i)
11. In the US it's 4yr/50K miles, 8yr/80K on a specific short list of emissions-related parts (req'd by US Gov't.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I took the plunge in November 2004. I bought an Oct 99 Car in AVus Blue with 61k miles on it. It had new tyres, pads, discs and just has Inpection 2.

as i had the BMW warranty it has been back to the dealers a number of times to get minor things fixed (headlamp washers, a temperature sensor caused it to be rough from a cold start, etc) - all of these things have been attended to willingly by the dealers so i would buy with a BMW warranty if you can.

As for insurance, i found Admiral were by far the cheapest.

Either way, i'm sure that you'll love it!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JEM said:
1. Somewhere between 35K and 100K miles, depending on how it's treated and a certain amount of luck.
2. Some claim 8K miles, mine go 20K with a couple trackdays thrown in but I don't do burnouts.
3. Yes
4. Cam position sensors, MAFs, HVAC final-stage resistors, instrument cluster text displays, rear swaybar brackets, I'm sure you'll find more info in the archives.
5. Adequate but not really good, prices probably better gotten from UK source.
6. 16-20mpg average (US gallon)
7. Nothing critical, park distance control is nice but can be added for $400.
8. 4000lb plus or minus.
9. Don't have info that'd be useful in the UK.
10. Several - see notes above. Also I've had two of the Alpine CD changers croak after 3-4 years (the M5's and the wife's 540i)
11. In the US it's 4yr/50K miles, 8yr/80K on a specific short list of emissions-related parts (req'd by US Gov't.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Many thanks for your comments here .. i am doing as much research as i can ahead of a purchase ... and like most cars the more you know the less chance of being shafted by a vendor ..!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Hi,

Things to look out for when buying....

-listen on start up from cold. If you hear a rattle/knock for 1 sec or so,
chances are the VANOS hasnt been modified. This means that the vanos may be original from factory (as replacing the vanos usually means they will modify it to eliminate this noise), which also means they may go at some point - V expensive!! - search for VANOS - you'll be online all night!

UK warranty is renewable each year for £900 (just increased to this fig.)

Dont buy one without a warranty...you can then use the existing warranty to clear up any niggles (incl VANOS) then renew it at your discretion.

Check dashboard pixels.....pixels are known to drop out requiring a whole dash - £700+lab+vat if no warranty

Check condition of brakes - discs should give good indication....new discs/pads all round can run to £1000, so this can be a point of negotiation if theyre on the way out

Check all internal electrics - this car is known for niggly little electric faults (elec mirrors, sunroof, sound system etc)

Check that it scares the sh*t out of you when u drive it hiha :M5launch:

Brakes are ok, but possibly the weak point on the M5 (and most modern M cars). Upgrade for front runs at around £1700 and is essential if tracking the beast at any pace. (ive just taken the plunge)

Otherwise the car is well built and reliable. MPG depends on how you drive it, but expect 13-14 around town, and 20-21 on a run if cruising.

avus/le mans blue are popular colours for the M5 and hold value well.

Hope this helps, good luck
Piers :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx for this info foxyboy... Im getting a picture of the Brakes and the clutch being the achilles heel of these cars , lots of torque and lots of weight to stop ..the brakes dont look up to much , not grooved or drilled with what look like two pot calpiers on the front ..? this car will replace my 911 turbo2 .. so it has a lot to live up to ..!
Whats the deal on the factory warranty .. 3 yrs or 5 .. or is it on mileage ..?

·
Registered
19 Posts
These fellas have covered the main bits. I'll just reiterate that you need to be gentle with the standard clutch; no throttle application until it's fully engaged. My car has covered 73,000 miles on the original clutch.

Coming from a Porsche 911 I'd imagine you'll find the brakes to be woeful.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
jammy dodger said:
Thanx for this info foxyboy... Im getting a picture of the Brakes and the clutch being the achilles heel of these cars , lots of torque and lots of weight to stop ..the brakes dont look up to much , not grooved or drilled with what look like two pot calpiers on the front ..? this car will replace my 911 turbo2 .. so it has a lot to live up to ..!
Whats the deal on the factory warranty .. 3 yrs or 5 .. or is it on mileage ..?
Got any pics of the 911 turbo2? maybe we can come to an arrangement? hiha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts