BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered this hole in this hose after finding a medium-size pool of oil under the car this morning. What is this hose? I had no oil warning messages or lights on my way to work this morning (got a call from home that there was a puddle in the driveway, didn't find out until I was at work - 45 mile drive).

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes, that is a breather tube. Piston blow by and oil vapors from the crankcase get sucked back into the intake manifold to be burned. It's there for emissions complience. I'm suprised that the check engine light did'nt come on. There would be a huge vacuum leak, I'd think. Actually, now that I look again at the pic, there appears to be a check valve between the hose and the intake manifold. It probably closes automatically when there isn't enough pressure behind it. The hose is attached to the lower part of the valve cover, that's probably why so much oil is leaking out. GL with the repair, and let us all know what exactly it is/does/costs.
Ken

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Yes, and an easy DIY. Maybe 10 minutes and the parts cost under $10 per hose. Change both of them. If this one is this rotted, the other one ain't far behind. Last year's prices from Sweeney BMW's mail order:
Left crankcase hose 11-15-1-406-953 $8.80
Right crankcase vent hose 11-15-1-406-952 $9.64

·
4,353 Posts

#1-Why Would you think that IS NOT a BAD thing?...there's a HOLE in a hose...and it looks like it BURSTED!

#2-DAMN! your M5 is DIRTY...I can understand you not caring about it getting dust and junk on the paint[I myself couldn't care less, BUT how the hell did you get so much SAND/DUST inside the Engine Bay]

·
Registered
657 Posts
It is an oil/air hose. You will lose a little bit of oil with a hole like that. I replaced both of mine a while ago, because the rubber becomes brittle and dry after so many miles. If I remember correctly its about 17.00 per hose ( one for each side) you can still reuse the clamp so no point in replacing that unless it looks like crap. But easy fix as you are un doing 4 clamps replacing the hose and re-clamping. Not the end of the world. It always best to have something little go rather than something big like brakes or a clutch etc. Good luck with the fix. Not sure how bad the other side is. But its always best to repair in pairs. If one went or is crap chances are the other is already there or on its way. Don't be a fool or cheap, replace both sides.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I changed those out a couple months ago because mine were really mushy. I think I paid about 8 bucks a pop and did the install in like 10 minutes as well.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
#2-DAMN! your M5 is DIRTY...I can understand you not caring about it getting dust and junk on the paint[I myself couldn't care less, BUT how the hell did you get so much SAND/DUST inside the Engine Bay]
[/SIZE]
It has 120,000 miles and I drive on unpaved roads frequently.

·
Registered
934 Posts
It has 120,000 miles and I drive on unpaved roads frequently.
Make sure you are on the shorter airfilter replacement schedule, hua....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts