BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my car in because I was getting a CEL on and off and it turns out to be the Vanos Oil Line after they scanned the code. After running some tests the line does need to replaced. The line is not that costly its just about 12+ hours of labor totaling $3300. Has anyone had this issue before? My car is out of warranty and I will try to get BMW to cover it.

Darrin

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Darrin, Vanos Oil Lines are a common failiure on early M5's and I had mine replaced some time ago, but your labour quote seems a little excessive. My car was not under warranty and I covered the repair myself. Approx 4 or 5 hours labour totalling £500 ($803)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just had mine replaced here in Houston out of warranty. I think the estimate was about $2,250 (11 hours labor or something like that I think). Dealership stepped up and had BMW pick up a third, the local dealership picked up a third, so my bill for parts and labor was bout $750. Was floored. I didn't even ask. They called, said what the problem was, and service guy said he went to the BWM Director and Dealership Service Manager for a "good will" deal and said they were covering 2/3's the cost. I'm not keen on taking my cars to the dealership for work, but would definitely not hessitate to take mine back here.

Mickey

·
Registered
431 Posts
Replacing the vanos oil line was a recall item. There is an official tech bulletin for it. I would think BMW should pay for it even it the car is out of warranty,.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Info I heard was that it wasn't a mandarory "recall". Was only done if it was leaking. I think if I was the previous owner when the SB came out I would have tried to push to get them to cover it under warranty irregardless if it was leaking or not. But since I bought the car out of warranty I'm really at the mercy of the dealership. In any case I'm happy they stepped up and covered at least what they did.

Mickey

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just found out that my Vanos oil line is having a problem. For some reason, my when warming up the car and it goes to idle, the engine 1/2 power CEL comes on. does this happen to any of you?

My car is currently in the shop, so hopefully we can get this figured out, but from the looks of it, my extended warranty company might not cover it. (fingers crossed)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Who is your extended warranty carrier?

·
Registered
564 Posts
No, sorry. I did a quick search on the forum, no luck either.
Good luck dude! Let us know how it all shakes out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.