BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2001 M5. It has only 31k on it now. When I am on the highway the or in town in 4th, 5th , or 6th gear and on the gas, the car has a whinning sound- only under throttle. It goes away when I am off the gas. Is this normal? It is not radio noise, I have no aux amps and the phone is not hooked up. If I just rev the engine in neutral. the sound is not there, so I think it's in the trans. Should I switch the fluid? Ever heard of this before? Help please!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm interested in this response -- my 2001 with 35k on it is silent, but my 1997 540i/6 whines as you describe ... which I atribute to age somewhere in the drive train (153k miles).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thompsw said:
I'm interested in this response -- my 2001 with 35k on it is silent, but my 1997 540i/6 whines as you describe ... which I atribute to age somewhere in the drive train (153k miles).
Thanks for responding. I have had some posts and for some reason many people will veiw them and not respond. I am going to take the car to the dealer- as it is still under warranty- and see what they say. Other than that, the car is perfect. I will let you know what the dealer says and how it's fixed. Thanks again for responding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jaybee said:
I'm no expert, but it could be a release bearing (Thrust Bearing) in your Gearbox Housing.
But as I said, i'm no expert.
Thanks for your response. I will let you know what the dealer tells me, I was just unsure about the noise and thought maybe it was normal.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Robsox808 said:
I have had some posts and for some reason many people will veiw them and not respond.
I'm going out on a limb here, but most likely because they have nothing to add!

I myself viewed it and thought "Hmmm, I have no specific idea what this might be." and determined that I wouldn't post that!

:)

Ard

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ard said:
I'm going out on a limb here, but most likely because they have nothing to add!

I myself viewed it and thought "Hmmm, I have no specific idea what this might be." and determined that I wouldn't post that!

:)

Ard
I am new to this forum, and I have read many posts that ask questions that are seemingly equal in obsqurity. My thoughts were to go ahead and ask, maybe the problem is widespread, I don't know. I am grateful that you responded with an answer that you don't have an idea and you wouldn't post what I posted. Now I know to just read, don't post.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Rob-

That wasn't my point at all- absolutely everyone can post any question... just know that because there are a lot of "reads" it doesn't mean folks are ignoring you- just that they have nothing to add.

Your comment was wondering why folks won't respond.

I didn't say don't post- I was saying don't complain about people not responding.

Welcome to the board- sorry for the misunderstanding.

Ard

PS Parse my post- the "that" in the last sentence refers to the quoted part NOT your post...

·
Registered
12,774 Posts
Rob
I read your post also, but didn't feel I had the technical knowledge to make even an educated guess on your problem. Keep posting your questions, generally this board has no shortage of opinions or unwillingness to share them!
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gsfent said:
Rob
I read your post also, but didn't feel I had the technical knowledge to make even an educated guess on your problem. Keep posting your questions, generally this board has no shortage of opinions or unwillingness to share them!
Regards,
Jerry
Thanks Jerry. I will stay tuned to this forum for more info. Is VANOS a problem in our 01's?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Robsox808 said:
Thanks Jerry. I will stay tuned to this forum for more info. Is VANOS a problem in our 01's?
Robo:

The VANOS problem was, from my knowledge, only a MY 2000 problem.

Without a little more technical details on the noise problem, it would be hard to venture a guess. Does the whine increase with speed? Is the pitch the same for same RPM's in different gears--i.e. is it an RPM based whine or a tranny based whine?

Let us know, more info is always better.

·
Registered
12,774 Posts
Robsox808 said:
As indicated above, most VANOS problems were with the first year U.S. cars. Later cars have some other problems. Cam Position Sensors are not uncommon, and cause the car to sound "throaty" and feel down on power. You may or may not get an SES (Service Engine Soon, or more generically the "check engine light") based on my experience.
Take the car to your trusted mechanic, put on the lift and then have someone go through the gears. This may help isolate the type/location of the noise. If you can pin it down with wheel speed, engine speed, or particular gear, that would help the board try to diagnose the problem. Just diagnosing sounds is one of the hardest things to do without hearing the sound.
Not sure if you are under warranty, but if you are, just let the dealer handle it. That is what the warranty is for. cherrsagai
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
399 Posts
Robsox808 said:
I own a 2001 M5. It has only 31k on it now. When I am on the highway the or in town in 4th, 5th , or 6th gear and on the gas, the car has a whinning sound- only under throttle. It goes away when I am off the gas. Is this normal? It is not radio noise, I have no aux amps and the phone is not hooked up. If I just rev the engine in neutral. the sound is not there, so I think it's in the trans. Should I switch the fluid? Ever heard of this before? Help please!
Sounds like rear diff whine...had the same in my MY'00 and dealer replaced diff...whine gone.It's usually under accel or coasting but not both.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
GregC said:
Sounds like rear diff whine...had the same in my MY'00 and dealer replaced diff...whine gone.It's usually under accel or coasting but not both.
That sounds plausible. If you have lost lubrication in the rear diff, it could overheat internally and subsequently fail in a extremely dangerous failure-mode, locking both rear wheels, which at anything above 20-30 MPH will cause total loss of lateral control.

There was one guy here who got a diff lockup like that, but fortunately it happened at rather low speed, so everything was ok. He posted about it, so you might find it with a search.

I would definitely take it to a good service department.

David

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
About a year and half ago, I had on my '01 a "whinning" noise when the throttle was applied and ceased when I let off the throttle. The dealer changed my transmission due to a service bulletin covering this issue. No more "whinning". I've have not seen the bulletin myself, but the dealer said the bulletin reads as follows: If a customer complains about a whinning noise from the transmission, it will be swapped out for a new/rebuilt transmission under warranty on a case by case issue. I asked my SA what was the actual problem, he said maybe electric/sensor issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
canysmc said:
About a year and half ago, I had on my '01 a "whinning" noise when the throttle was applied and ceased when I let off the throttle. The dealer changed my transmission due to a service bulletin covering this issue. No more "whinning". I've have not seen the bulletin myself, but the dealer said the bulletin reads as follows: If a customer complains about a whinning noise from the transmission, it will be swapped out for a new/rebuilt transmission under warranty on a case by case issue. I asked my SA what was the actual problem, he said maybe electric/sensor issue.
That's exactly what this problem is like. I am going to the dealer tommorow and I hope to have either the rear gears or the tranny relaced. Is there a way to do a search and find the service bulletin? Thanks so much for your help. Does your steering make noise when your turn also?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I must assume the whine with throttle applied is speed-sensitive. That is, the whine is more prominent at certain road speeds and increases in pitch with higher velocity. Generally, these types of noises have a harmonic range where they're most noticeable such as 50-70 MPH. Above or below that point, it may not be audible. Under these circumstances, this whine heard in higher gears is probably associated with the hypoid rear differential gears. There is a slim chance it could be the tranny, but the noise would more likely be audible under coasting conditions too. Also, tranny whines tend to be audible at all speeds instead of producing more noise with a certain speed range. A tranny "could" make a similar noise in more than one gear, although most tranny whines do not occur in the 1:1 direct drive drive gear, which is 5th on the M5. You indicated your 5th was noisy, so this again leads me to believe the rear differential is faulty.

I would have both the differential & tranny checked for leaks. These would be visible moist spots on the componentry and drips under the car after parking would be obvious. Low lubricant levels could cause noise and hardware damage.

Just a warning...if the leak is bad and fluid is low, it could be seen as neglect & BMW may not want to cover it under CPO. You may want to check tranny and diff fluids yourself before trying to get the dealer to perform warranty fix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lscman said:
I must assume the whine with throttle applied is speed-sensitive. That is, the whine is more prominent at certain road speeds and increases in pitch with higher velocity. Generally, these types of noises have a harmonic range where they're most noticeable such as 50-70 MPH. Above or below that point, it may not be audible. Under these circumstances, this whine heard in higher gears is probably associated with the hypoid rear differential gears. There is a slim chance it could be the tranny, but the noise would more likely be audible under coasting conditions too. Also, tranny whines tend to be audible at all speeds instead of producing more noise with a certain speed range. A tranny "could" make a similar noise in more than one gear, although most tranny whines do not occur in the 1:1 direct drive drive gear, which is 5th on the M5. You indicated your 5th was noisy, so this again leads me to believe the rear differential is faulty.

I would have both the differential & tranny checked for leaks. These would be visible moist spots on the componentry and drips under the car after parking would be obvious. Low lubricant levels could cause noise and hardware damage.

Just a warning...if the leak is bad and fluid is low, it could be seen as neglect & BMW may not want to cover it under CPO. You may want to check tranny and diff fluids yourself before trying to get the dealer to perform warranty fix.
You are the man! You have described my problem perfectly- and I found a tech. service bulletin from BMW that confirms problems with the rear gear. Hopefully the dealer won't jerk me around and they will replace the gear. There are no leaks, that I am sure of. I will let everyone know what happens after my visit tommorow. Thanks a million for your help. Know whats wrong with the steering?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Rob,

Can you, please, post TSB related to your problem. A whine started on my '00 couple days ago, when under throttle in 3rd & 4th gear ?

Has your problem been resolved ?

thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
450 Posts
This is probably not it, but I have read about harmonic whining sounds from loose shift knobs. Usually after a SSK installation.

arok said:
Hi Rob,

Can you, please, post TSB related to your problem. A whine started on my '00 couple days ago, when under throttle in 3rd & 4th gear ?

Has your problem been resolved ?

thanks,

Andrew

1 - 20 of 26 Posts