BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been shopping around for an E63 and had the privilege to test drive one yesterday. The car had Rpi headers, Asa muffler, straight pipes (No cats), and if I'm not mistaken the Scoops. When I saw the car I immediately noticed the check engine light and the seller reassured me it was because it was because the car did not have the ECU Tuned for the exhaust system. When I test drove it I punched it in Sport mode 500 on 3rd gear to 5th but the sound and performance did not impress me coming from an e39 M5 with the similar setup. Honestly it might of felt slower. But my question is if I were to Tune the car to these mods will it delete the check engine light and make the car perform better? Also I'm not sure what size straigh pipes the car has, but would it make a big difference if it were 2.5" vs 3"?

Any advice will help. Thanks guys

·
Registered
265 Posts
I sold my E39 M5 & went to an M6, the M6 has way more power than the M5, about 100 more horses lol...something must have been wrong with that car!

·
Registered
463 Posts
defo smthn wrong w the car other than the an ecu remap... my old man has an e39 which i love, but that thing is no where close to my 6...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aww man, see I thought it could've been that the straight pipes were too big so the car wasn't getting any back pressure. I would def get a PPI before purchasing the vehicle but that's for the comments.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have a full exhaust from the headers back and ive had my tune sitting in my desk for 4months now and hvnt gotten Around to installing it yet... but my car doesnt feel any different than before... and my exhaust is valvetronic and doesnt throw any codes for a heads up

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
If you were accidentally in P400, it would probably feel a little strangled. The other day, i had made a couple of stops before hitting the toll road where i was looking forward to a run through the first 3-4 gears and as i am accelerating I said to myself "self, what the hell is wrong with my car,I've race gas in it and it just isn't right" I started looking for lights going off and all and I peeked through the steering wheel, which normally blocks out the "M" light" on the dash and there was no "M" light on, and of course, the power button wasn't lit either. I then hit the M button again and the car took off.
The car runs best in P500S, by the way.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you were accidentally in P400, it would probably feel a little strangled. The other day, i had made a couple of stops before hitting the toll road where i was looking forward to a run through the first 3-4 gears and as i am accelerating I said to myself "self, what the hell is wrong with my car,I've race gas in it and it just isn't right" I started looking for lights going off and all and I peeked through the steering wheel, which normally blocks out the "M" light" on the dash and there was no "M" light on, and of course, the power button wasn't lit either. I then hit the M button again and the car took off.
The car runs best in P500S, by the way.

Thanks,

Bill
Thanks that makes sense because I don't know much about the m6 but it had a head display on the windshield and when the owner turned on the 500p mode was on the display looked different then when I was driving.

·
8,369 Posts
The power of V10 will blow you away.

Like everyone have said, ensure you're on P500 mode. But if the car is already on P500 mode and still felt weak then I am guessing its all the stuff added to the car not fine tuned to work well together.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Just wanted to add this: The heads-up display has two modes, one is "M" mode where a a color coded tachometer of when to shift is displayed, or the standard navigational display with speedometer and navigational directions on display. Selecting "M" mode does not actually put the car in P500S. That has to be done manually in another menu selection with the I-Drive controller. So, maybe that is what happened.
Bill

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
You also have to know how to drive the SMG correctly to feel the power best. For example you can be in 2nd gear at 3k and floor it and its not going to be that impressive but if you are a 5.5-6k and get on it you will get slammed back in your seat.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The car was a 6-speed, sorry forgot to mention that
does not matter. 6sp or SMG, s85 in P500s should destroy anything E39. The difference is very noticeable at speeds over 80mph where the V10 starts to get into it's stride and just pulls hard. The car you drove either was in P400 or had issues performance related.

One other thing.. E60 M5 is much faster than E39 M5 and E63 M6 is slightly faster than E60 M5 to put into perspective how much faster E63 M6 should be against E39 M5.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup I agree that it should be and will be way faster. Thanks for the input guys, I will continue my search for this 6-Speed beast.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts