BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. Me and my mate are going to drive from England to Russia and then all the way across to the sea of Japan then turn round and drive home again, its about 30'000 kilometres we're going to try and do it as fast as possible basically flatout whenever we can :wroom:. We're thinking about buying an E39 M5 with about 50'000 miles on the clock then supercharging with an ESS kit but i'm a bit concerned that the car will blow up halfway across Russia and leave us in the **** :confused2 so i thought id ask you guys for some advice. Any given would be greatly appreciated thank you

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Is an E39 M5 the right choice?

What are the roads like?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Russia?

I think its the best/fastest choice for the money we have at the moment, the road is the Transiberian highway which is now complete smooth tarmac. Do you ever have problems with your car? :confused2

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I think its the best/fastest choice for the money we have at the moment, the road is the Transiberian highway which is now complete smooth tarmac. Do you ever have problems with your car? :confused2
Yes ouich

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sounds like a fantastic adventure.... good luck to you!

An M5 'can' suffer froma variety of maladies, just skimming through this forum would have shown you that (inc. MAF's, Vanos, oil consumption etc). But for the performance/cost/age it is probably more reliable than similar cars ..... though there are few cars to compare it to.
Slapping on a supercharger is definitely not an 'out of the box' add-on and will bring its own reliability/usage problems which you might not want to deal with if you have never owned an M-car.

Having said that, in my 3+ years of M5 ownership i have had no problems at all apart from an alternator change and normal service parts (brake pads, filters, oil). Maybe i have been lucky -touch wood. It is totally stock, which is how i intend to keep it, and has never caused me any regret in buying it. I think it would love to eat up the Transiberian track!

You might want to consider an E60 M5, they are pretty cheap nowadays though even more complicated than the E39 M5.

Good luck again, hope you will post a few pics on here of the journey.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I wish you luck...

-uh, the roads will be the least of your problems - - if you aren't robbed, your car stolen, or wake up in a bathtub full of ice missing a kidney, I'd be surprised...

·
Registered
624 Posts
2nd what MarkQC said. It's the wild wild east out there. You can definitely count on your car getting stolen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe 20 years ago but its ok now from what ive researched which is a lot. People hitchhike across and there fine other people do it on motorbikes and cars.. all sorts. We should be fine..:( I really want to know if everyone thinks the car can handle flatout driving for a month?? :1zhelp:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
This is sooooooooo crazy. Make sure you have a life insurance

...and I forgot to add make sure you bring enough money to bribe each road cop that will stop you there

·
Registered
624 Posts
you can do all the research you want - once you get there, it's a different story. With enough prayer and good luck, you might make it through unscathed with your car intact. It's a very risky journey.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Don't worry about the naysayers. Have a great trip!

I'm pretty sure you don't need a sc... that will NOT be the limiting factor of this kind of trip.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Eventhough E39 M5 is a well built car, it still has some components that fails every now and then.
I'm more worried about breakdown down the road.
I will be confident if I already have the car for a few months, make sure all the bugs are fixed and have a long distance trip.

Buying an unknown car, slap an SC and do the trip sounds very risky to me.

Reactions: Kelster

·
Registered
958 Posts
So the one big issue that no one mentioned is that the M5 has no full size spare tire. If you don't mind keeping one or two in the back seat, and maybe some extra oil, I think you should be pretty good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As for Alex Roys (The Driver) 31 hours 4 mins from East Coast to West Coast which he and David Maher shared the driving of. My Driver drove at high speed for 35 hours non stop on one of our 'stages' across Europe with me in shotgun over the Christmas and New Year period 08/09 This is going to be interesting to say the least. Again any more advice and your comments appreciated :wroom:

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,258 Posts
This is my wet dream, go for it.
I have been dreaming about this quietly ever since (yes across russia).. well 5 years before I got my M5.

DO IT DO IT DO IT!! Take a lot of pics and show me. I'm stoked and encouraging you, go for it.
I wish i could do this.

//Oto

1 - 20 of 79 Posts