BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a new one....

I have 5200 miles on my E39 M5 now. Not a single glitch to date. The other day I hit my "sport" button, which I always do. The engine lurched as usual---BUT, the steering wheel is not tightening. The resistence is the same as the non-sport mode now. Anybody with an answer here? Gonna take it to the dealer soon. Do you think a fault will show up on the BMW diagnostic computer? What actually makes the wheel "feel" tighter?

MJ
since 11/24/99

·
Banned
121 Posts
MJ,

I'm having the same problem. My steering wheel does not tighten with the sport mode on. I have no idea what's wrong though.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to clarify...my M5 used to have a noticable increased stiffness in the steering wheel, as it is designed to do, when the sport mode was activated. It just stopped recently. Kelvin, did yours cease to function properly after once functioning correctly?

MJ

·
Banned
96 Posts
I don't own the M5, but isn't that similar to the "speed sensitive steering" of other performance sedans which tightens as the car goes faster? Do either of you recall if the the steering tightened significantly at higher trates of speeds or are you now turning it on at lower speeds?

·
Banned
121 Posts
MJ,

I'm not sure. i never felt the increase in stiffness since I took delivery of the car. I was thinking maybe it's me that is not sensitive to the stiffening of the wheel. That's what Andy and the other guys told me.

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
For me, the sports mode on the M5 does make the steering stiffer. But on our 740, when you hit the EDC button (which I think is the equivelent of the sports mode on the 7 series) the stiffer steering doesn't kick in until higher speeds (100+km/h). Have you guys tried driving at higher speeds to see if the steering gets tighter?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts