BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm getting ready for a trip tomorrow that I have to make, and I saw a small pool of water on the middle engine splash guard. I haven't noticed it before, and the car has not been driven for a week. I noticed it when I started the car a smelled a burning smell and what appeared to be a tiny amount of smoke. I had all of the front lightbulbs removed and the plugins bunched up and sitting behind my CAI. I wanted to try and see if I could get the fogs to work (I didn't know the lights had to be on for the fogs to turn on), and so had to turn on the headlights. I started to smell the burning and turned everything off. When I tested it again, I left the lights off--this time no burning smell. While investigating for the burning smell I saw the water.

89,000 miles. The coolant level is right where it should be. The liquid is water (I checked), and the water pump was replaced about 4,000 miles ago.

Thank you, I really need to go tomorrow morning and need to see if all is ok.

See pics below:

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, it rained on Friday, so maybe it hadn't all evaporated yet. My only explanation for the burning smell was that the headlight wires (to the xenons, high beams, and turn signals) were all disconnected, and maybe when energy was put through to those wires some sort of burning happened?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts