BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Replaced my power steering pump today and I'am lost as to what is causing this ticking and marbles in a can noise???
New unit and the car is doing the same thing, No issues with steering at all, all pulleys and tensioners just replaced in efforts to source noise. Under slow acceleration it makes a tick noise and at idle the pump sounds like its got marbles inside the unit? Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Does it make the noise when you're not moving the steering wheel? (Just the pump running with no load?)

I had the ball joint where the pitman arm attaches to the center link go bad, would make a weird creaking noise when turning the steering wheel lock to lock.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes with no load?? not sure if its air in the system or if i didnt get all the fluid flushed correctly. Not sure whats going on, what i know for a fact is its comming from the pump.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
It could be the secret filter in the p/s reservoir plugged, causing the pump to cavitate. There have been a few posts about that. The new pump is now sucking so much better, it's made the problem more obvious.

The filter is not available separately, it's part of the reservoir but the reservoir is cheap.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Thanks for the follow up! Must be nice to have it fixed.

Reactions: gixxeridaz
1 - 6 of 6 Posts