BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're doing an oil/sparks/filter/air filter change today.

Just took spark cover off and when removing Cylinder 6's coil pack, the hole was full of water pretty much up to the top - 6 being the cylinder closest to the front of the car.

It's not sweet (I tasted it), so it's not coolant ....

It's been very wet recently, but I'm not sure how that could fill with water - car has done about 2000/3000 miles since we were last in there (when I had a misfire).

Dried it out using kitchen towels and about to put it all back together (we're also doing a compression test today).

Any ideas on what this is and what I should worry about?

Thanks!
Stephen

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Scrub that - think we found the source .... I had previously lost one of the BMW nuts that holds the cover on and replaced with a simpler nut - it doesn't have flared edges like the BMW nut and the cover has a slight rust mark round it - looks like the water got up there in the wet weather and made it down between the nut and the cover and into the spark hole.

Making up a small washer for it and refitting until I can get hold of a proper nut.

Me, cars, problems, hmph :blink:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car going a LOT stronger - skipped the compression test as engine was cold, we'll do it next week when we go checking to see if Cylinder 6 is still dry.

5.5 litres of Motul 300V Racing 15-50W oil I had spare from my Honda as well - I'm well chuffed!

Replaced the screen on the MAF with a new one (from the MAF I bought that turned out to be broken - we can see why now, it's a repaired unit, there is stray solder on it).

All in all a good days work cherrsagai

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can see the rust on the spark plug cover here - note we've changed the nut

The nut on the bottom right is the one that was previously in the top - put a washer under it to seal it

·
10,456 Posts
i've heard of this happening, either with leaking washer fluid lines (to the jets on the hood) or water leaking in thru there, traveling along the washer line and dripping onto the cam cover. Is your hood insulation wet, or look like it's been wet?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It didn't - there is no evidence of any water running anywhere, albeit it's been very wet recently here in Scotland!

I will check out those lines though - good tip and easy to check hopefully!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Stephen, Mike is right. This has been mentioned before, I think it was cyrus who suggested that it was water getting in from the washer jet either the line or, if your nozzles have been removed before i.e. for bonnet respray, there might be a gap between the nozzle and the bonnet. This was the case on my car and I had the same problem. Could have been from pressure washing some time before as the water does not evaporate once the coil pack is tightened down.

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Since when is number six closest to the front of the car?

I was always taught that you start counting from the distribution side of the engine, i.e the exact opposite way. The way BMW describes on the valve cover of for instance M30's supports this.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Point noted - thanks.

Tried to edit the subject line of the thread yesterday, but the board doesn't let me ....

·
Registered
406 Posts
does anybody have the part number for those nuts? I ordered what i thought was the correct one and got something different. I then removed a nut and took it to my dealer who said he didn't know how to find the part number for ithmmm

I told him all the locations of this nut (throttle bodies, valve cover, coil pack brackets) and still i got the same dull nut when we tried again:crying:

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
You can have my two.
They won't see any further use.:hihi:

I have some spare engine dress nuts from when I did mine
( When they were available)
I have a couple of spares if you need them to replace missing items.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's not the rocker cover I mean farrell - it's the cover that goes over the coils with M Power on it - is THAT meant to have a gasket?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts