BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the 415mm TRX wheels on my 1988 M6 with brand new 16X7.5 ET20 style 5's (E39) from the dealer with hubcentric rings.

However something does not look right. On the front wheels, there is a hair's worth of clearance between the face of the wheel and the brake caliper. Is this how it should be?
<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attachments

·
Registered
906 Posts
Style 5's in 16 inch and 7.5 I have never ever seen that speck !

If you have the normal size 17X8 you want be that close to the caliper.

Hope this helps

Anri

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have fitted E39 17x8 and 17x9 Style 32's (with spigot rings of course) to my M635CSi. The fronts have ET20 as well and I have approximately 1mm clearance which hasn't troubled me for the last 3 or 4 thousand miles.

HTH

·
Registered
22 Posts
The original 415mm wheels that came on my '85 M635 had an et15. If you had the same ...... then a et20 on your new wheels would be 5mm closer to the brake caliper. However, I think the et 20 should be OK ..... as long as nothing is rubbing.

By r_e_l at 2012-05-24

·
Registered
409 Posts
The offset only defines where the wheel mounts to the hub. Has nothing to do with brake caliper/wheel structure clearance. That is up to the individual design of each wheel. Spacers can help because they move the whole wheel structure away from the brake caliper.

Personaly, I am using 17x8.5" Borbet alloys on my M635, with 235/40/17 rubber on all four corners. NO problems clearing my rotors, but the Borbet are designed with a short front lip, meaning the support structure is out away from the hub and brake calipers.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The original 415mm wheels that came on my '85 M635 had an et15. If you had the same ...... then a et20 on your new wheels would be 5mm closer to the brake caliper. However, I think the et 20 should be OK ..... as long as nothing is rubbing.

By r_e_l at 2012-05-24
Are those the original TRX 3 pc BBS wheels that were replaced due to cracking problems in the 80s?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, there was a cracking problem and a leaking problem ..... neither of which was experienced with the set that came with my '85 M635.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Are those the original TRX 3 pc BBS wheels that were replaced due to cracking problems in the 80s?
Yep !!
they are BBS RS007 .
I have them on my M6... it was a really expensive option in France.
but nether had trouble cracking or leaking...
and Michelin 240/45/ZR415 are really expensives also: more or less 450€ each !ouichouich

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Most information I have read about wheel clearance generally calls for about 5mm of clearance with respect to brake and suspension parts.

That said, you wouldn't expect a wheel to flex under normal driving but under spirited driving, I can see it happening, and with clearances that small, contact is possible. I personally would not feel comfortable with such little clearance.

I'm normally posting in the E60 section but I got a little bored and decided to venture around...figured I'd add my 2 cents. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Some E34 wheels do not work

I have attempted to usè E34 15 in type 5s on my 88, the caliper on the right side hit the spoke mid way, a raised boss was the interference. Type 32 from the E34 fit. Both wheels 15s with et20, just additional relief on the back side of the spokes

·
Registered
884 Posts
My solution to fitting style 5 wheels on my E24 M6 was to use H&R spacers/ adaptors which gave me the correct center bore and pushed the wheel out for a nice flush look. Better setup than hub centric rings, and you can choose the thickness of the spacer. I used 15mm with my 17" style 5.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I intend on using the 15in only until I get a set of BBS 221s powder coated that were installed by prior keeper of this black beauty. Requires centering rings, but no spacers to fill out the wheel wells.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts