BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am familiar with drive cycles as my Porsche 911 had a nightmare with that at one point, but I have 2,000 miles on the M5 since BMW checked it for a bad MAF.

I told them to reset it and we would see if it came back on (meanwhile I have ordered two VW MAF's thanks to this board and will do it myself). It did come back on but then turned itself off again. I went and had the car checked that day with the light off, and I got "FAIL: DTC communication failure". I get a free retest, but what the hell is a DTC failure? It's as if the system won't throw any codes at all. It is just saying failure to communicate.

Anybody have experience with this or knowledge on how to fix it? I can only surmise that:

1) It is the MAFs causing the failure which I can fix.
2) My EEPROM is going bad
3) My EEPROM has never been reflashed from whatever recall there was on it. (I guess I need to know more about the recall in case I have to bring it up).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Robert

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump.

Has no one else come across this issue? I have to fix this by the end of June.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Did you have the recall programming done?

How are your reading those codes? Is this a smog shop or a BMW dealer?

·
Registered
276 Posts
this sounds like the recall issue, every time I tried to get an emission test I got a communications failure error. the recall fixed it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a smog shop reporting the failure to communicate which means it is simple OBDII equipment as opposed to BMW specific. I guess I just need to take it in to the dealer and ask for the recall issue. Where can I find more info on that?

In the menatime, what fuses can I check that would cause the OBD II to not communicate?

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
It's a smog shop reporting the failure to communicate which means it is simple OBDII equipment as opposed to BMW specific. I guess I just need to take it in to the dealer and ask for the recall issue. Where can I find more info on that?

In the menatime, what fuses can I check that would cause the OBD II to not communicate?
There is no fuse on external communications specifically - your issue is one of software, not hardware.

d-

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree, that makes more sense. Not that I might not have a fuse out somewhere but I couldn't think of how a fuse would disable communications to the OBD scanner. The car hooked up for the initial process just fine, it just went blank after that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts