David Ajax III· Registered
Like the others said, the power is all in your hands, and it has NEVER been easier to get a great deal. Salesmen at the stealerships are all paid on commission, so use this to your advantage. Remember, their biggest fear is you walking out the door without a sale, after they have invested time in you. So here is a technique that Ajax used to use when he did not have two nickels to rub together:I found one that is listed 30k off msrp which seems really good, so I'm wondering do I have room to negotiate on this? For what its worth I suck at it and I hate doing it.
1. Check NADA Yellow Book for pricing info, so that you know what range to expect.
2. Get a notebook binder, and stuff it full of junk mail and other random papers. Write "M6 Offers" on the front of it in large letters, black marker. Put a large rubber band around it, and of course you don't let him look. (It does not matter what papers are inside, the salesman will assume you have done a lot of price homework.) This binder is your war paint, and it will scare the snot out of the salesman.
3. Find out the salesman's shift, and go in exactly 1 hour and 10 minutes before he gets off work.
4. Spend a lot of time with the salesman, and take a lengthy test drive. (Get his time invested before any talk about the deal).
5. Don't let him control the deal. Make an offer below competitive pricing, and work very gradually up to what you are comfortable with paying. Remember, you will not offend the salesman. Although his job is to empty your wallet, he will actually respect a smart negotiator.
6. Get up and start walking the moment he rejects your final offer. This will terrify him! At this point, the salesman will leave the room to "talk to his manager." He is really not talking to anybody, he is in the back room getting a cup of hot coffee (always exceedingly hot at any stealership) and a donut, while you wait. He is trained to make you wait 8-10 minutes to throw you off your game, which fits in neatly for the time required to wolf down the donut and hot coffee.
7. Meet him half way betwixt his final offer and your offer, and start walking if he balks. You will prevail because the profit margin on used vehicles of this caliber is very high. He has burned his tongue on the hot coffee, which has destroyed his will to fight. It is also now the end of his shift, he is beginning to crash from his sugar rush, and it's his last chance to make a sale before he goes home empty handed to his high-maintenance girlfriend.