BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this is my first post and I have never used a message forum before so please bear with me.:confused2 I am looking at buying a 1988 b11 and will be very grateful if anyone can give me some advice. I have owned BMW's before but only briefly and have always been a mercedes man.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi what you need to check is that the car has all the relevent paper work, i would ask the guy for the VIN number and 4 digit alpina plaque number (which all real alpina`s shud have) and contact Sytners in Nottingham 0115 934 1414.

If its proper they will have all the build data on file. If looking at the car it shud have alpina spoilers although the front one was an option, MoMO alpina steering wheel, wodden gear knob, 20 spoke alpina wheels, alpina exhaust (look under back box for alpina stamp) and possibly a green alpina sticker in the drivers door pillar with tryre pressures. It may have alpina logos on the speedo clocks, not alpina came with these. There shud be dash plaque mounted on the cockpit with the alpina build number.

Lots of things to look out for, but valuable to ensure you dont buy a fake, any pics of cars?

Cheers

Naz :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi thanks for coming back.:) It appears to be 100% Alpina i have all the original bill of sale from Sytner including a card and letter which has the man who built its name on. It has the green sticker inside the door with the build numbers on and mountians of paperwork confirming it's identity beyond that. :confused3 What i really need to know is what they are worth. I have a mercedes coupe that i am going to be part exchanging against it. The one I am looking at is a 1988 f in dolphin grey with 130,000 miles. It is in fantastic condition inside and out. The exhaust has been changes for a stainless ( no Alpina here) and the wheels have been changed (unfortunatley the owner does not have the originals). The wheels that are on it are very nice original Bmw wheels off of something else that where brought in from Germany and look absolutely fantastic on the car ( i hate to say it but they look better than the Alpina's). It is an automatic with velour interior. There is no plaque on the dash but i had thought from reading this forum that Sytner built Alpina's don't always have these plaques. It will work out that it will cost me about £4000 - £4500 to buy, does this sound right. There was a photo of it on ebay but i think it has gone anyway, this did not do it justice in the slightest.

Thankyou for your help guys.

·
Registered
146 Posts
yeah i know the one i think on ebay. it is true that some (a v small percentage did not come with plaque) but if u have sytner paperwork then it looks kosher.

value? i would say £3500 as you dont have the original wheels, aftermarket wheels only devalue the car and i would strongly advise getting the original wheels in the correct size as it when it was first built (this is gona cost u at leat £1K)

hope that helps. As an idea there is a e32 B12 (g -reg i fink) on ebay for around £5500 buy it now which is more powerful and more original than this one.

Naz

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ta for that you just confirmed what i thought. It's a shame that the wheels devalue it cause they do look very smart on the car.

I don't think i will probably go for it like you said the B12 looks like more of a deal. I am really looking for a M5 but need to sell the Merc first. If anyone out there trying to shift a cheap E34 M5 then i don't mind miles as long as the car is nice and the paper work is there.
Thanks again for your help Nas.

·
Registered
146 Posts
for the money ull pay on an E34 M5 with monster mileage (say 4-6K) u mite as well go for the B12, more BHP and Torque with only 5 made in the uk...basically wot i mean is this car will not depreciate and in years will appreciate in value if maintained correctly and is much more exclusive than a M5....your choice though....... :byebye:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Howdy from down under,

I'd also say go for the B12 over the B11 especially if the B11 isn't original & it also sounds like it's short on a few of the standard b11 options. Not that it wouldn't be a fantastic car to drive as I love mine but more power can never go astray either.

best of luck,
SAM.

cherrsagai

·
Registered
61 Posts
Dont knock the b11s they are great cars built around bmw best engine the 3.5 on the road tests up againts the 750 the b11 was top dog.As for the b12 too much can go wrong very expensive to fix my mate has a blue nice car but you have to be careful.
B11 only came with 261 bhp.
mahale cast pistons.
light alloy cyclinder head alpina large bore exhaust system loads more engine mods.
five speed manual or 4 speed sport box special alpina differential and limited slip diff.
alpina suspension gas filled shocks.
alpina light alloy wheels ultra light weight.
body coloured alpina front spoiler [no back spoiler]
alpina steering wheel front and rear alpina badges alpina dash plaque.
Total price on top of a 735se £11.900 PLUS VAT.
Hope this helps.;)
Cheers
Ryan

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi ryan i hoped you might notice the thread as you are the only english B11 owner on the forum. :byebye:
I thought about the B12 but it is out of my range and you have confirmed my fears surrounding the maintenance of the V12's. I have had a 735 before and it was no trouble at all.
I am not sure if my ship has sailed with the B11 as i have not got back to the guy who owns it for almost a week. Allthough i think it is proving to be a little hard to shift for him. I would be intersted in what you value them at as this guy has dropped the price he wants. I have looked at yours on the site and appreciate that it is bit more original and lower mileage so i would guess the two don't fall into the same category. This one is being offered to me for a £1000 on top of my mercedes which i realistacly value at £3000. I think i can get him down to £750 if he still has it. I really like it and would love to buy into something as exclusive as Alpina ownership in this price range but i don't want to end up with a a car that isn't sellable unless sold for 735 money!:confused3

·
Registered
339 Posts
i'm surprised there's no plaque with it and would check the original bill of sale etc with Sytner in case it was simply an alpina styled 7 series... they dd this will all of the 3's 5's and 7's (ie: a watered down version with no engine work...)

i'm in the process of compliing a computer record of all of the Sytner records from their build cards - in fact i was at Sytner's yesterday for 4 hours going through their records... so far though i've only managed to do the e28's and e24's but will hopefully be getting the rest down by the end of the year (no help in your case i know)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah its a proper one i have the bill of sale showing it was £12,000 over a normal 735ise and that it is a proper job. the guy who made it apparantly still works for Sytner and i have his name and number at Sytner on a card.

·
Registered
61 Posts
To tell you the truth i had a look at that one on ebay the guy sent me some pics,the car did nothing for me with out the alloys you know its just not right.I had a calpso red 735 watered down as they say no engine mods just the alloys and steering wheel even the green sticker on the inside driver door to somebody who does not know it looks like a alpina.The only way you would really know is to drive her then you will know you just know because the performance is something else.As for price its hard to tell i was sellling mine a couple of weeks ago for £3.500 and mine is nice with full history all the alpina bits [only to buy a 3.0csl on ebay ]no takers but i am keeping her now great car one of the monthly bm mags want to do a feature on her at some stage.Shes parked up in the garage for the winter now,i have just bought a e30 325i cab to mess about with i have only had her a week and i am already spending money on her when will it end;)

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Andy (D4)

Can you let me know when or if you get to any e23's? In fact if you need any help, I can volunteer some time to help out if need be on your quest. E23 Alpina's are HARD to clarify, so would be good to know.

AG

·
Registered
339 Posts
Andy G

i'm planning on going back to Leicester over the holidays with laptop this time (too much effort with pen and paper...) but not sure exactly when so don't worry i'll gladly keep you informed on what ever i come across...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No bought a left hand drive e36 m3. I think it is still for sale in somerset if anyone else on this forum wants it. I am loving the m3 at the moment but i don't think there are any m3 owners on this forum. If anyone disagrees or knows of another site i can use please let me know.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I disagree.

I have one (or had??) plus I look after the e36 M3's for the Car Club!

Can you furnish me with details of this e32 B11?
Thanks
AG

1 - 20 of 23 Posts