BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
After solving my EDC problem, I now have another problem which ruined my whole weekend :grrrrr:

I was driving my car out of the driveway and I forgot something so I parked my car at the side of the road. I am not sure whether I put it back to Neutral or left it in Drive. When I came back, the car wouldn't start. The gear selector was at Neutral, but it in the speedometer display it showed that it was in 1st gear.

After about an hour meddling with the selector i got it back to Neutral. When I tried to start the car, it cranked but refused to start. I thought that I might have drained the battery trying to start the car, so I got it recharged. With the battery fully charged, I still couldn't get it to start! this time there was no crank at all. The gear is in neutral. My mechanic brought his laptop. According to him, the gear selector unit cannot be detected.

Some notes:-
1) I have checked all the fuses
2) I can hear the pump running normally when I open the door. My mechanic has also tested the pump via DIS, and the gears can be engaged.

I also notice that when car ignition is at 2, at the gear selector, the N sign doesn't light up. Is that normal?

·
Registered
474 Posts
sorry man, don't really know what might be up. As a suggestion you could run the transmission adaptation and see if that helps. Are there any codes?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there was a code about not being able to communicate with the gear selector. there is a breaker near my place who has a M5. However I don't know which part is faulty. my mechanic who is also my friend is not an expert when it comes to electronics. he is asking me to buy the whole module, including the selector.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have already purchased a used gear selector and will be installing it tomorrow. will keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You might wanna look at the clutch realese bearing. It gets stuck and car won't be able to press the clutch to start.

I came across your thread while searching to solve my edc fault.

·
Registered
437 Posts
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/475290-yesterday-baddest-day.html

sorry i didn't edit the post , i pasted it on here.

btw : i tried meddling with the knob right and left but i ended up the knob stuck and coudn't be moved anymore and off no light in it. your lucky that u could shift it and move it without problems.

The mechanical came to my car with his tools.

opened the box that contains electrical wires in the front
windows 7 screenshot

and he gave electricity somehow using a metallic pen i don't know what is called and the knob worked again.

he scan it , nothing showing but he figured out that might be the dynamo (alternator ) or the battery.

the battery was like approx dying i felt so, so i replaced it and till now no problem.

the alternator i already replaced it , but it was a used one, so we doubted that the problem was electricity that caused the fault and made the problem, but when we put it on scanner to scan the voltage it was 13.7 13.8 so it was good we moved to suggestion of replacing the battery and that what i did.

Vartra battery 100V and till now no problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts