BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2002 LMB M5. One of the wheel lugs on each rim is round, unlike the others. Looks like some kind of anti-theft design.

I received no special socket from PO, and can't find anything in trunk or tool kit. So question is -- do I need something special to get the wheels off the car, and if yes how do I get a new tool? Off to the dealer?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I would try to contact the PO if you can track them down after you look though the car VERY well, glove box, door pockets, trunk behind side panels, radio/cd changer, fuse/relay side. Then pull out all of the foam around the Mobility kit and check very carefully. Hopefully you can find the lug tool.

These cars did not come with special anti-theft lugs. Maybe a dealer option, maybe aftermarket? Not sure the dealer can be much help, but it is worth a try. I would not recommend the dealer near me! Not sure they could find there way out of a wet paper bag!

Sometimes??????? a deep impact socket can be hammered on over the anti-theft lug nut and you can loosen them carefully by hand with a large breaker bar?

I see you are in the area, maybe I will see you around sometime?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, bummer if its aftermarket and PO doesn't respond. I'll look around again, but went through the trunk pretty well since I had to recharge the battery.

Would be happy to get together sometime, seems to be a few NoVA guys here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you can't find the key, don't bother going to the dealer. My friend lost her key right before we were selling her car and I took it down to my local Belle Tire. For $5 a wheel they took off the locking nuts and replaced with new chrome nuts within 10 minutes. This was on a Neon, but the procedure is the same and they do it all the time. JFOJ is right - it involves hammering an impact socket over the nut/stud and using the impact wrench. They also told me sometimes they have to resort to using an impact hammer with chisel bit on the corner of the nut. It's something you can try yourself (especially if you're nervous about the mechanics scratching the wheels) but I feel this is one job best left to the experts.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had that same problem. Careful use of my air chisel fixed it. But if you miss you will ding the rim.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
You take a 14mm inhex socket and hammer it inside the wheel lock bolt.

Lost the locking nut for mine also last summer and did not have the number written on it.

Worked perfect to open them with the 14mm inhex socket.

It is quick,efficient and not likely to damage the wheel that way.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Go to ANY tire store.

The change hundreds of wheels every day, and quite a few have no keys...they just hammer on old socket onto the lug and loosen it. Most times they dont even mention it to the owner. They usually have a box of old, beat up sockets for this purpose.

DON'T let them charge you too much either.

Or do it yourself if you can find the close socket among your junky ones

A

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Go to ANY tire store.

The change hundreds of wheels every day, and quite a few have no keys...they just hammer on old socket onto the lug and loosen it. Most times they dont even mention it to the owner. They usually have a box of old, beat up sockets for this purpose.

DON'T let them charge you too much either.

Or do it yourself if you can find the close socket among your junky ones

A
Normal socket does not work good on these wheel locks!

Been there,done that...

Trust me,14mm Inhex socket hammered in and good.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Go to the dealer..they have a set of all original keys to the lock bolts. When they find the right one you can buy a new one for a few dollars. No need to brake the bolts.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Quick note:

Can we all agree that there are MANY kinds of 'security wheel locks' and there is no SINGLE "right way"?

For example, there is a McGard High Security lock than NONE of these posts will unlock.... likewise there are BMW wheel locks, non-BMW locks...who knows what OP has.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all for the good intell. I'll take a picture tomorrow to help establish what kind of lock bolt it is. Glad to hear this should be relatively easy to handle.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
It's just about as fast to take it off as it is to take a picture.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Snap-On makes a tool to remove these. same idea of hammering a socket over the bolt but these sockets have splines inside that bite into the lug, works quite well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looks like original..actually a newer one that´s been used on e9x models. Should be a piece of cake for the dealer to find you a new key.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Definatly looks like the BMW type.

I broke my key. Went to a few tire places and none of them would try to remove it. Not sure why.

One dealership told me they didn't have it, another dealership had about a hundred of different ones. Luckily I knew what "model" mine were, so it was easy to pick out.

I read that some of you were able to hammer a socket on and undo the bolt. I have done that but on nuts that have the pattern on the outside. Anyone able to do it on these BMW bolts?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Keep in mind there are two types of locknuts typical for BMWs, one with the teeth on the outside (BMW sells these) and one with the teeth/pattern engraved into the head of the nut.

Replacement key can typically be ordered, but the lock/key need to be registered first, so best bet would be what is suggested above by the others.

Edit: Oops, didn't read the second page. Ard already mentioned what I just posted. The one in the pic is the BMW one that comes with a cap to fit into that hole. This one you can use the methods suggested here.

·
Registered
195 Posts
dont panic. most tire and wheel professional can check the lock and get you a new key. go down to town fair tire and ask them to get you a new key. its that easy

1 - 20 of 27 Posts