BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi group,

my car has the MkIII cd based nav.

I tried to eject the nav cd because I just bought a new 2008 one but it would not come out, made a lot of strange noises, like a plastic gear slipping.

I tried holding the eject button but nothing happened, I tried disconnecting the battery in the hope it would reset something but no joy.

So, I removed the nav unit and took the top cover off to have a look, I could see the cd and on looking closer I noticed that the edges of the cd were damaged (it was perfect when I put it in).

I connected the power back to the unit and it tried to eject making the same horrible noise, the cd was just showing at the front slot, just enough that I could get a grip with my finger nails, as the unit was trying to eject I applied a small amount of pulling pressure and the cd came out.

Happy days - I thought! However, when I tried to load the new cd it would only take it in half way, I tried a few times careful not to force anything but no luck.

I found a link here http://www.x5world.com/articles/all-...ion-drive.html

but there really wasn't anything to help other than trying to wind the tray by hand.

Do any of you guys have a picture of the top of the nav unit with the top cover removed and no disc installed? I want to make sure all tabs/gears etc are in the correct position before I try anything else?

Any other help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Richie.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

I took the nav unit out of the car last night and stripped it down a little, I tried to hand wind the tray back and forth and after a few goes there was a very nice clunking noise, nice as in it sounded like everything had moved to where it should be.

I looked in through the cd loading slot and all looked correct.

I went to the car, connected it back up and tried to load the new nav cd, it took the cd half way in and then made some bad noises again, then the cd went all the way in.

I sat into the car and turned the nav on only to be greeted by the words 'please insert nav cd'.

So - looks like I am back to square 1 :3:

I am going to have another go at it this evening but I have the feeling that something is broken inside so I may well need to replace the unit.

This may have to wait some time as my wife is due our first baby in July/August and she is keeping an extra close eye on my spending :hihihi:

Thanks for reading - if any thoughts come to mind please let me know,

cheers,

Richie.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I wish I could help you richie but to me it sounds like you might need a new unit. I should think loads people have upgraded to the mk4 so you might find one on ebay. Other than that if you have a friend who repairs computer parts they may be able to help you out. I used to do this and from what you have said it sound like the gearing has gone bad which is not that difficult to fix but it's getting the timing of the cogs in sink again is the hard bit. Also maybe you need a new laser unit aswell as it can't read the disc but this could also be down to the cogs being out of sink, not sure.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish I could help you richie but to me it sounds like you might need a new unit. I should think loads people have upgraded to the mk4 so you might find one on ebay. Other than that if you have a friend who repairs computer parts they may be able to help you out. I used to do this and from what you have said it sound like the gearing has gone bad which is not that difficult to fix but it's getting the timing of the cogs in sink again is the hard bit. Also maybe you need a new laser unit aswell as it can't read the disc but this could also be down to the cogs being out of sink, not sure.
Cheers Andy - I really do think the unit is dead, I guess I will try to find the funds to get a MkIV - just don't tell my wife :cheers:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts