BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been tracking my M5. Nearly a month has passed and www.bmwusa.com still shows my order as "On Order." The guy I work with at the dealer obviously does not understand my anxiety to see it shift to "Scheduled for Production." Since he is selling too many BMWs, seemingly at the expense of Mercedes Benz, he has not been helpful in providing me with additional information.

Any of you have an idea how long my order can sit as "On Order" or how long it generally takes from "On Order" to "Scheduled for Production?" Any info, as well as ways to obtain more detailed information, would be helpful.

Thanks.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Call BMW NA at (800) 831-1117. The information there is much more updated.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I use the automated system or should I speak with someone?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MRichmond: Thank you very much for your suggestion. I just called BMW. They quoted me "Scheduled for Production" and Week 43, which translates to about week of Oct 24.

Apparently, a bunch of Week 40s have been shifted to Week 43. Nothing to worry about, but they wanted to ensure "perfection."

According to the guy at BMW, it take about 7 days for production, 10 days to port, 23 days on the cargo ship and a few more between the distribution center and the dealership.

Bottom line, I should expect delivery in mid-December.

Now I am counting the days!

Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
SWP said:
MRichmond: Thank you very much for your suggestion. I just called BMW. They quoted me "Scheduled for Production" and Week 43, which translates to about week of Oct 24.

Apparently, a bunch of Week 40s have been shifted to Week 43. Nothing to worry about, but they wanted to ensure "perfection."

According to the guy at BMW, it take about 7 days for production, 10 days to port, 23 days on the cargo ship and a few more between the distribution center and the dealership.

Thanks.
Once again the members of M5 BOARD are more informed than the BMW salesmen! Crg

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't even bother with the BMW salesmen anymore. If we calculated their pay as a function of their value add, I would argue that they are the highest paid people on the planet (they get paid for doing nothing other than placing an order into the BMW USA order book).

The real problem is that BMW cars are so good, and therefore in such high demand, that the salesmen don't have to sell the cars. They pretty much sell themselves.

Then you have BMW M5 nuts like us who will probably allow salesmen to yell at us and beat us in exchange for a higher spot on the M5 waitlist!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
SWP said:

Thanks.
You are most welcome. I call the automated line almost daily. It consistently has been showing a completion date of October 8 (this Saturday). My production began on September 26, so nearly two weeks. The customer relations people also have been very helpful. I was given roughly the same estimates on shipping times.

The scheduling is interesting, since several of us who originally were slated for Week 42 were advanced to Week 40. I don't know if this has anything to do with others being slightly delayed.

In any case, in a few months' time, a difference of two weeks will be irrelevant. What colors did you order?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My order was quite plain and simple. Black Sapphire Metallic. Silverstone Full Leather. Madiera Walnut Trim. Head-up Display. Rear Spoiler Deletion. That's it! No additional options. Keep the weight down a bit and fewer things to fix!

What did you get?

MRichmond said:
You are most welcome. I call the automated line almost daily. It consistently has been showing a completion date of October 8 (this Saturday). My production began on September 26, so nearly two weeks. The customer relations people also have been very helpful. I was given roughly the same estimates on shipping times.

The scheduling is interesting, since several of us who originally were slated for Week 42 were advanced to Week 40. I don't know if this has anything to do with others being slightly delayed.

In any case, in a few months' time, a difference of two weeks will be irrelevant. What colors did you order?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you seen the posts of all the problems people have been having with this first generation M5? I am having second thoughts about taking delivery. Wondering if I should wait for a year or two for BMW to work out the kinks.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Since this is the second model year for the car, I'm not sure I would characterize it as first generation. Our european friends were the first gen guinea pigs. We'll still have issues, just fewer. I'm getting the car now, perfection be damned.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
SWP said:
My order was quite plain and simple. Black Sapphire Metallic. Silverstone Full Leather. Madiera Walnut Trim. Head-up Display. Rear Spoiler Deletion. That's it! No additional options. Keep the weight down a bit and fewer things to fix!

What did you get?

That's a terrific combination. The black looks truly menacing and classy. I chose silver grey with silverstone extended leather and madeira wood. I also got the multifunction seats, HUD and rear side airbags. After an extended flirtation with interlagos, and then changing to silver grey, I considered seriously going with black. However, since my production got pushed up two weeks, it was too late to change.

I am not concerned about the early model kinks, if any. As Jessem notes, the folks in Europe have paved the way. We are getting '06 models with several enhancements over the '05s. And even if something does go wrong, the warranty will cover it and the worst that will happen is that I will drive a loaner from the dealer for a few days. Certainly not enough to make me delay getting the car, for which I have been waiting for years. In addition, buying later means that you would be buying that much closer to the next generation model.

·
Registered
69 Posts
According to my dealer,from the time you place an order with a dealer until the time the car gets built could take a while.Each dealer is given car allocation by BMW head office.Only when BMW head office gives the dealer a M5 allocation then he can spec you car.It should take about 4 months from then to get delivery.

Well bascially this is how it works here in South Africa.I believe there are guys here who placed thier order with dealers and have to wait 2 years minium to even have an answer to when they are gonna get their M5ouich

1 - 13 of 13 Posts