BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I brought my car to a car-wash yesterday and one of the lenses is fogged up. I'm wondering whether any of you have any experiences with this, whether it'll go away and what I can do.

Thanks,
Sugi

·
Registered
771 Posts
Turn your headlights on for a couple of minutes. The heat from the xenons will dissipate the moisture. But definitely have your local center take care of that!;)

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Its happened to quite a few people on the board including myself. It will go away.

It is impossible to avoid and although it is annoying it doesnt cause any harm.

The lights are not air tight therefore it is impossible to avoid condensation unless you just avoid water around the lights which is not very realistic.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just had a headlight replaced due to condensation inside the lens. A BMW tech told me that it's a very common problem on the E39. The headlight housing is supposed to remain dry. Condensation is not normal and replacement should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
The replacement is covered under warranty it's a leak in the housing, which should be air tight, most likely a cracked gasket, but they don't just change the gasket they replace the whole unit....so you get brand new xenons....

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I'm sorry but after I posted I realized that you said you took your car to a car wash:crying: :crying: :crying:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys..

Well..I did the conversion from '00 lenses to Angel light unit so I doubt they are going to cover the lenses under any sort of warranty.

But as long as they go away...like Chris mentioned, I'm cool with it...hopefully it wouldnt leave any stains etc.

My bad guys...I'm just very lazy nowadays and my car is really dirty so I just popped into a car-wash nearby. Hehehe..any volunteers out there to help me with my car wash?

Thanks,
Sugi

·
Registered
219 Posts
If your '01 lights are from BMW and you have the receipt, there should not be a warranty issue regardless of the year of your car. If the lights came from Bekkers or another after market parts place, than I would take up the problem with them.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
This happens on a lot of cars. The best way to get rid of it is to drill a tiny hole in the bottom of the light housing so that the excess water can escape, but I am not sure if you can do that with xenons. Do the xenons require a closed atmosphere?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts