BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 m5 cpo'd with 27k in miles. I have only put on 1k in miles and until 3-4 days ago it has been fine. Then while driving on the freeway on two seperate days the SES light pops on and I go into limp mode until I pull over and restart. Contacted my SA and he stated if it went away, no big deal.

Now my engine makes a weird sound. I almost want to say vanos problem. Oil is fine but here are a couple of other symptoms:

At idle, with brake depressed, can feel a pulsing vibration through the brake pedal.

When clutch is disengaged and gas is applied there is a pause, like a flat spot, and then it takes off(this is from a stop), then when shifting into second it will bunny hop about 50% of the time.

I think I am just going to take it by the dealership. I dont want to sound paranoid, however things just dont feel right!

Thanks for everyones help!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I go into limp mode until I pull over and restart

That is the symptoms I got when I had the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAFS) failure. The problem will not just go away...get the stealership to replace the MAFS.

Robert

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Sounds like a Camshaft position sensor to me with regards to the limp home mode when on the highway. Athough, the pulsation through the brake pedal is new to me as I have never heard of that happening before. I would bring it in to the dealer ASAP.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi

Has the dealer solved your problem already?

I had my vanos replaced (both sides) a few days ago. When I depressed the brakes at idle, I could also feel this vibrating thing, the motor eventually even turned off. Mine is build 11/2001 at 80'000km, just got it repaired in warranty.

Matthias

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, they deny even feeling it. I am rather frustrated right now and really dont know where to turn..........

·
Registered
947 Posts
Try and find a good, independent shop that you can take it to. I am sure that someone on this board or maybe via the BMC Car Club could recommend a shop. Have them try and find the problem and maybe they can help you with working with the local BMW dealer if its a warranty replaceable fix. I did this for a left strut problem that the local dealer missed but with the shop's advice and suggestion on how to talk to the service advisor, I was able to get it repaired under warranty. It was the best $75 I spent on this car.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
phxgunner said:
No, they deny even feeling it. I am rather frustrated right now and really dont know where to turn..........
Did they find any fault-codes? It's hard to imagine SES and limp mode and no fault codes.

When that happened to me, it was the MAFs and CAM sensors.

BTW, I had bunny-hop issues. Dinan chip in 01 cured it a little. Power Chip in 02 ELIMINATED the whole issue. It also removed the 'dead-spots' commonly found with the OEM software as well. I highly recommend you give them a call.

Good luck.

CP

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just 2 codes for random misfires. Iam going to go back again and raise some beef.

Odd thing is after cleaning the mafs about a month ago, the bunny hopping went away. now, a month later it bunny hops second like I am just learning stick again.....this sucks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts