BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey lads and ladies,

So I have a bit of rocker panel damage as seen in the pics. It's hard to make out but I think both pics should give you an idea of the scale of the damage - about 5 ft in length and 1in. deep. I think the middle is pushed up a bit too.

Shop A quoted: 11hrs body and 2.2hrs paint. OK

Shop B quoted: 30.7hrs body, 6.5hrs frame, 7.7hrs paint, and 7.7hrs for paint 'supplies'. :eek7:
Shop B claims it must remove/install the fuel tank, and fuel lines (BS, they're on the left side) and both right doors, etc...

So friends, which is more likely to be accurate given what's visible in the pics??

Got an appointment soon with Shop B for other components but, UMM, what?!

Thanks,

Sidy

·
Registered
210 Posts
What the hell happened?!?!

Contact Marty Wilson at Leehigh Auto: [email protected] They are great and his price will be one of the best you'll find. Please update the thread with the "after" photos and how it all worked out. Good luck.

Just thought of another. If price is not an object, call Kevin at D&V Autobody in Sterling: http://www.dandvautobody.com/

The Herndon Ferrari dealer uses them and I hear they are the best in the area.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
+1!?

The rocker panels being part of the frame itself, this damage is a bit unsettling. I vote to repair it (option A) over the option of covering it with an aftermarket sideskirt. If you were to sell the car, the next owner finding that damage "hidden" would suck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
D&V FTW

Contact Marty Wilson at Leehigh Auto: [email protected] They are great and his price will be one of the best you'll find. Please update the thread with the "after" photos and how it all worked out. Good luck.

Just thought of another. If price is not an object, call Kevin at D&V Autobody in Sterling: D&V Autobody - Automotive Collision Repair, Re-Painting, & Customization - Serving Virginia VA, Maryland MD, & Washington DC

The Herndon Ferrari dealer uses them and I hear they are the best in the area.
Yup. D&V Autobody is where I'm going - it's just that I didn't want to drive all the way out there...but now I will because they are painting my new bumper anyway!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
+1!?

The rocker panels being part of the frame itself, this damage is a bit unsettling. I vote to repair it (option A) over the option of covering it with an aftermarket sideskirt. If you were to sell the car, the next owner finding that damage "hidden" would suck.
interpretive dance and text below->

"Night time deer:buck!! - AVOID, AVOID - swerve right, leave road. PHEW! - Stop. Breathe. - Starts taking off only to hear the bottom of a small tree trunk rubbing against the right rocker...Ayyeee"

Otherwise, I would've just a had a bit of wheel and suspension damage. FML? NO! Because if Mr.Buck had met Ms. Marietta, it'd have been waaay worse.

Definitely not going to just cover it, but like you said, that piece is huge. Shop B wanted to take out the fuel tank, doors, welding, pulling tabbing, cutting, etc. I was like no f-ing way are these ppl gonna have a GO at my car. Shop B is Spectrum Auto Body in Arlington VA. I brought it in and the owner Mark said, "Oh, it looks like we'll also have to align your hood, too!" My hood wasn't even closed.... So the zeal there has tipped me off to know he's just trying to sell, sell, lie - like you don't think any M5 owner knows every little detail about their car?!

Thanks, all.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Please post picks after D&V is done. I actually have a small dent in one of my rockers and I might use them as well. Good Luck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It probably would be a better idea to work with the OEM skirt if you can though.

+1. Yeah, my car is stock. So it will remain stock. I didn't even pay attention to the address, but I've driven LeeHigh several times (inculding today) and didn't even realize it, LOL. I've talked to Kevin at D&V, but I will try to get an n-th opinion at LeeHigh either Friday or next week.

Ancora, grazie a tutti!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts