BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Key fob is stuck in the ignition of my 2006 M5. I've tried everything, and it wont come out. To lock my car today at Starbucks I had to slide the valet key out and lock the doors, as anybody could start my car.

I've wiggled the steering wheel, driven it it reverse, drive, and home. Its still stuck. It doesnt even wiggle. Any help?

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I fixed it...

I was able to pull the key out (pulling very hard). After quite a bit of fiddling I stuck my finger in the 'fob hole' and felt around. There are quite a few moving parts in there.

Seems that a sliding plastic piece got stuck forward, making the car think the key was always in. Why it locked in, I dont know. Once I curled my finger and slid this plastic piece back (towards the passenger seat) it click into place. After that I was able to operate the key normally.

I hope this helps some other owner some day searching the forums.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
hmm sounds crazy to have this happen. thanks for the info...

·
Registered
190 Posts
I will warn you this happened to me twice. Once I was able to do what you did but the second time no amount of pulling would get the key out. I took it to the dealer and they could not get it out either. Had to get a loaner and leave it. They eventually had to replace the "key holder unit" (I'm not sure the real name but you get the idea). So fiar warning ... it may not be "fixed".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
nicko
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing