BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 M6, I just purchased Wednesday. Tuesday I had it inspected by BMW of Seattle and they said all was good (some leaking bushings and a battery that wasn't registered... minor stuff I'm planning to have fixed next week) but overall they said it's a good car. Based on this, I purchased the car and a warranty Wednesday morning. Having only driven manuals in the past, I'm still getting used to the clunkiness of the SMG, but I took the wife on a nice little drive in the country on Wednesday and all seemed good. yesterday evening, I'm getting on the freeway so I give it some gas. 1-2 shift fine, 2-3 shift good. 3-.... it doesn't shift into 4th.... After a second or so I just let off the gas and maybe a half second later, it harshly shifted into 4th. I put it in D mode and merged onto the freeway. I was only going to the next exit so when I got off everything seemed fine and maybe a mile later I get a Transmission Fault error (Red cog) and it skipped from 2nd to 4th. when shifting. I pulled over, stopped the car, got out for a minute and then started the car up again crossing my fingers it would start. Everything seemed normal. No errors, not SES light (does this car even have an SES light like my E39?)

So, I start heading back home on back roads in D mode driving like 90 year old (the slow safe ones, not the crazy ones that crash into store fronts from time to time) About 2 miles down the road, the transmission fault comes back. Same symptoms. No D mode and it skips 3rd when shifting up or down. I limp the baby home and call a friend who has a code reader.

So last night (early this morning) we pull 4 codes
520A
4F83
4F80

The car has been sitting for many hours now so we clear the codes and I take it for a drive around the block in D mode. Everything seems fine, the shifting seems as normal as SMG shifting can seem to me. About 2 miles in (I'm almost back home) I turn a corner and damn, the transmission fault comes back. I finish the drive home very slowly and park her in the garage......

So, yes, I had the car inspected with good results
Yes, I have a warranty which I bought from Bruce on Wednesday less than a day after the inspection and only an hour or two after I signed the papers on the car. With only 24 hours and 100 miles between then and now though, I don't know how this will go if it's a major issue.

Please... please give me good news (If this is obvious signs of a bad clutch I'll be a happy camper... I simply know nothing about SMGs and am worried sick right now)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Other than they're common issues... do the symptoms or codes point to either of those? I've been doing searches on the codes and not really found anything. A few started threads, but nothing solid with actual "Hey guys, the XXXX fixed it"

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an appointment for Tuesday. One of the techs did call me about the codes and said one code is in a service bulletin update and might simply require a software update (didn't say which in his voice mail) and the other three he said he couldn't really tell without having the car hooked up to their machines but given the miles if the clutch hasn't been done, it probably needs it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I' don t really know about the codes.

You alo said your battery was on the way out... Could be causing trouble.

Do you hear the smg pump when opening the door ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
No, part of the PPI said an aftermarket unregistered battery was installed. That was going to get taken care of with the bushings next week.

SMG pump noise? what would it sound like. I have noticed when I walk into the garage and open the door I hear what sounds like an electrical motor running.... almost like the mirrors are being folded down. Is hearing that a good thing meaning it's working?

·
Registered
129 Posts
TO ADD - READ your warranty contract in detail. I would proceed with caution when filing a warranty. You need to make sure to read the fine print. A lot of aftermarket warranty have clauses such as preexisting condition, a waiting period, a mileage waiting period, etc. Don't screw yourself by filing a warranty, when they can potentially void it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yes the noise you hear sounding like an electrical motor is the smg pump.

What is the mileage of your car ? Has the clutch already been replaced?
Throw out bearings have also been an issue and the new ones have been modified.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You SHOULD hear the pump when opening the door. Mine pump was completely dead, thus no sound.

No, part of the PPI said an aftermarket unregistered battery was installed. That was going to get taken care of with the bushings next week.

SMG pump noise? what would it sound like. I have noticed when I walk into the garage and open the door I hear what sounds like an electrical motor running.... almost like the mirrors are being folded down. Is hearing that a good thing meaning it's working?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a good warranty through Bruce M. There were no time or mileage restrictions, but undoubtedly the warranty company (I forget who off hand) would love for it to be a pre-existing condition, however, they require an inspection be done by a BMW dealer to rule that out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am not familiar with Bruce M, can you please elaborate?

Mind me asking what you paid for the the warranty? What's the mileage on your M?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Bruce M sold some good warranties on here in the past. He is (as far as I know) a legit guy. He is (used to be? at) [email protected]

The SMG however is somewhat of a gray area in most warranties....clutch and crap is a "wear item" = not covered....tranny itself is often covered - depends on the contract. I don't think the tranny goes out often on these cars...more the clutch/controlling stuff....which, depending on how you hold your mouth, may or may not be covered.

OP - the fact that it runs fine and then throws up is hopefully a good sign. Maybe a sensor or something. Good luck with this.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Check the warranty sticky thread up above. Bruce is a board member that's helped a bunch of us find exclusive type (meaning EVERYGHING is covered unless it's explicitly called out as compared to cheap inclusive warranties where only specifically called out parts are covered) warranties that actually cover things like the SMG transmission, etc.... at a cost though. My M6 has 69k miles and a 4y/40k warranty was about $6800.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Matt - based on the $$$ amount you bought a good warranty,thru Bruce...you should be good to go.

I am still somewhat befuzzled why companies continue to offer warranties for these cars when some are almost 10yrs old....

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Matt - based on the $$$ amount you bought a good warranty,thru Bruce...you should be good to go.

I am still somewhat befuzzled why companies continue to offer warranties for these cars when some are almost 10yrs old....
SHHHHHHHHHHHH Quiet, they'll hear you.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you buy the car from a private party or a car dealer?

Dealer As-Is. It would be difficult to prove they knew of the issue and deliberately covered it up though... I'm not going to go down that path unless BMW of Seattle finds a smoking gun.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts